Stuff from the sound

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wieselsport

So my buddy went clamming today and brought over some clams this afternoon and he said there were some crabs(hermits), a couple of sand dollars and some snails in there, are they ok to put in the tank or should I take em' back to the water? I know the temp is way different but if I put them in the sump will they mess with the main tank, if they live??

worth trying them in the sump so i can retrieve them or no all together.
I saw a guy on enay selling atlantics reef hermits it all for not or can they survive. I looking stuff up right now, but nothing conclusive

We've tried this a few times... sand dollars, snails, macro algae/grasses, stars, cucumbers, fans, and chitons I'd say you should take back, we've never had them survive. Limpets, hermits, tide pool shrimp, amphipods, and copepods we've had survive.

I've had the smaller snails survive, and all crabs/hermits survive. Never have been able to keep the larger snails alive for more than a few weeks. All pods and shrimp dont even seem bothered by the temp difference.

I've tried clams unsucessfully once or twice.

I've got my heart dead set on setting up a tidepool tank full of local critters, but I've been waiting to get my dive certs. If you don't keep the critters I'll set them up with there own home ;)

I think i'll try the hermits if they wont eat my corals and one of the side winder crabs if they dont pick at stuff. I think the other stuff will go back.

Back