STUNNING review of the GHL Mitras from Reef Builders!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BigAl07

As posted by reef-Builders. follow this link for the full review (and a LOT of unseen pictures) GHL Mitras LX 6100 hands-on: diverse LED color in a sleek German crafted package
the write up by Jake Adams The GHL Mitras LED light is the first aquarium light fixture from the experienced designers and manufacturers of aquarium electronics, most notably the GHL Profilux controller. We had to go all the way to Germany to get our first look at the Mitras LED in person, way back in May when the GHL LED aquarium light was still in middle stages of development. The promise that we saw in the GHL Mitras LED six months ago has been fully realized in the final production version of the Mitras with a set of hardware features which is nearly unrivaled in the aquarium hobby and bordering on over the top. Priced at $1200 the Mitras LED is not going to be many hobbyist’s first foray into LED aquarium lighting. However, experienced LED users and owners of large tanks who are ready to take big steps towards LED lighting will find the Mitras LED very worthy of their consideration. The first thing that struck us about the final production Mitras LX 6100 LED is its very finely crafted metal housing. Compared to the plastic-y shells of some aquarium LED lights the steel and aluminum chassis of the Mitras feels distinctly high class. The fit and finish of the anodizing work and paint job of the Mitras feels very solid and more so than most lights this is a fixture which will make you want to touch it, which is good because the onboard touchscreen controller is the first mode of entry for programming the Mitras LED light. Some other fine touches to the exterior of the Mitras include a hidden USB access port on the underside of the fixture and a sweet transparent power cable which ensures that you’ll never mistake it for another one of your aquarium devices. The onboard controller of the GHL Mitras LED is no doubt part of what adds to the overall cost of this top-tier LED light but it also ensures that no other accessories of computer is needed in order to get some programming of the light. With onboard 2.4GHz wireless the built in controller of one Mitras can become the master unit for a suite of other Mitras lights set to slave mode. When using the Mitras controller we found the splashproof touch-sensitive buttons to be extremely responsive and the nested menu options were fairly intuitive, there was no need to crack open any directions to quickly adjust different color channels. As good as the Mitras controller is, you’ll want to access it via USB using the GHL Light Composer to really make the most of what the Mitras can do. Even with an easy interface, the navigation of the small screen on each Mitras can take a little while, especially if you want to set multiple time-intensity points for nine different channels, those button presses add up. We have not yet played with the GHL Light Composer for the Mitras but we’ll be sure to do so very soon. Cracking open the Mitras LED was also an absolute pleasure (not literally cracking it, but carefully opening the housing of course). Compared to the first view we had of the Mitras LED at InterZoo the final Mitras LED boards, fans and electronics seem much more thoughtfully laid out. Whereas the Mitras initially had its four fans drawing from the bottom and fanning this moist salty air directly over the electronics, the Mitras now funnels its air cooling from the top and out the sides – a much safer and more durable orientation for air flow for sure. Also, previously we saw what appeared to be an afterthought for UV LEDs clumsily added to the middle of the body as if to fill in a void. The new placement of the Hyper Violet HV LEDs is right there next to the cluster of other LED colors which makes much more sense from a color-mixing point of view and for having one set of reflector or lens clusters to swap out. We’ll be having a whole lot more to say about GHL’s first foray into LED aquarium lighting with the Mitras LED. Be sure to check our previous coverage of the Mitras LX 6100 over the better part of this year and stay tuned for some unexpected observations about what the Mitras LED looks like next to some other aquarium LED heavy hitters and perched three feet over corals on a massive reef aquarium display. Part 2 to follow soon!
This is going to be THE LED unit to own! It's getting amazing reviews from the UK and from the couple of lucky people who WON them at MACNA 2012!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some more comments concerning the review from Jake Adams :

(paraphrased from someone who talked with Jake Adams)
Well I was with a couple other Mitras buyers...
This system is going to set the standard for the hobby...
Part 2 will further blow our socks off....
This is one of the most exciting advancements to the hobby we could recall...
the ability to so closely replicate natural settings will do wonders for all our livestock...
there have been a few conversations in here, macna, splash that some of the bells and whistles the Mitras offers were stupid and unnecessary that mindset blew us away...we mentioned to those folks that wet/dry, powerheads, wavemakers, dimming, actinics, using timers set to diff times on our lights etc were met with the same silly comments back in the day..many of us go to great lengths to ensure our fish and corals are as happy and healthy as can be...the Mitras is adding a whole new dimension.

During Jake's presentation he gave the Mitras rave reviews...he said that the addition of the new leds and coloration...red and hyper violet were even more amazing with regards to the fish coloration...as I mentioned earlier part 2 of the review will further blow our socks off....this is the future of lighting...and the bar has been raised insanely high....cannot wait until Wednesday!!!

This fixture is indeed becoming the Top of the Line LED fixture in the WORLD!

I couldn't find any specs on it Al, do you know? As in how. Many less an what wattage and so on??

Mojo

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

I'll post the specs after while but I sent you a PM with the link so you're able to see them instead of waiting.

Sorry about the oversight.

sent from Outer Space via Droid Razr Maxx

Here some of the "Factory" specs...
GHL Mitras LED Fixture
  • Light spectrum can be adjusted in a wide range
  • Very fine dimming steps through True Dimming Technology™ Linear Technology
  • 2.4 GHz radio module integrated
  • With 72 High-Power-LEDs in 9 colors You can adjust the light spectrum (range approx. 380nm - 700nm) and the light power exactly according to your wishes. Give your plants, fishes or corals the light they need!
  • The settings can be changed with a PC or over the built-in control unit
  • You can operate the lamps as independent devices or controlled by other GHL lamps or by the aquarium controller ProfiLux.
  • With the integrated 2.4 GHz radio unit lamps, ProfiLux and PC can communicate. This enables the lamps to synchronize during special effects (like thunderstorms or clouds).
  • 4 quiet fans and an innovative heat sink design ensure a safe operation and a maximum luminous output at a high energy efficiency.
  • Save about 50% energy costs compared to conventional illumination technology.

And just for fun here are some real world (not laboratory) PAR readings from a fellow reefer (Rodney in UK)
rodneyri_mitras16.jpg

And this demonstrates the amazing coverage this unit has (only center light is ON in this test and on HIGH intensity)
rodneyri_mitras17.jpg

Nice to see some hobbist par readings. Curious to know the deminsions on the tank. I have 3 on order for a 300DD I'm building and I'm a little concerned 3 will not be enough for a large SPS dominate system.

I think on the tank mentioned above he "over did it" but below are his dimensions

I was told it is 140x75x55 which translates to 56" x 30" x 22"

oldsaint what are the dimensions of your tank? The MITRAS is far exceeding the factory specs but a 300DD is a LOT of tank.

After doing some research it's going to depend totally on your layout and what you're trying to do. The MITRAS appears to be able to cover more than expected. I know of one "Demo" system (mixed reef keep that in mind) that is being built right now to use a single Mitras to cover 36x32x24

oldsaint what color Mitras did you order?

I think on the tank mentioned above he "over did it" but below are his dimensions

oldsaint what are the dimensions of your tank? The MITRAS is far exceeding the factory specs but a 300DD is a LOT of tank.

72"x36"x27" It would be nice to stick with 3.
I'm getting black so it will be a month and a half if not longer before I see them to take some readings myself.

I'd definitely start off with 3 and if you just can't get along like that add a 4th but I do think you'll be VERY impressed with them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Back