Styrofoam or not

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scubajames

I have a 120 gal acylic and I've seen a few people or heard people talk about putting styrofoam under there tank. I have my tank broken down right now. So I was just wondering before I put it back together, what are the benefits and drawbacks to doing this. And what is the purpose of doing this in the first place.

I've never heard of putting styrofoam under an acrylic tank before. The only thing I've ever heard about acrylic tanks is that they should sit on a very flat surface as level and even as possible.

I have some insulation foam under my acrylic tank. My original plan was to have a glass tank, so that is why it's there. I changed my mind at the last minute and went with acrlyic, so the foam just stayed put. The reasoning behind the foam (about 1/2") is to protect a glass tank from any minor twist or bump in the stand that might put a pressure point on the glass, causing it to crack. I have a friend locally whose glass tank cracked when it was getting filled up for the first time (no foam under it). The tank company replaced the tank, and the replaced tank was put on styrofoam for added protection. So far, so good. I honostly can't think of any reason to use it on an acrylic tank, though, unless you want to use it for good measure. I also can't think of any cons to using it either.

Hope this helps

Would all of you's still recomend the styrofoam on a standard glass tank with the trim on it ? I would think not to, as the weight would cause the trim to sink into the styrofoam and cause weight to shift to bottom pane. Is this correct ? Only use styrofoam on tanks that do not have the bottom trim, right ?

The styrofoam helps take care of any discrepancies between the top of your stand and the bottom of your tank. If both the tank and the stand are perfectly flat, no problems. But acrylic tanks, even from the best builders, often are not completely flat on the bottom. The styrofoam helps make sure there are no stress concentrations.

Back