Submersible (?) heater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Burrower

I did some internet research on decent heaters, and decided to go for the simple to use Ebo-Jager 100W heaters for my tank. On the Eheim website, the heater I have (and I quote) is "fully submersible". Well, when the heater came in, I plopped it in the tank, hid it as much as I could, and have let it heat my tank for the past 5 days...it's doing a great job, by the way.

This morning, my wife noticed that there is a mark on the top of the heater that states "Do not submerge heater below this line". Needless to say, my heart jumped and I immediately moved the heater to the top in proper fashion.

Obviously, I'm confused. I've looked at other online vendors and some say my model is fully submerisble, others don't. Does anyone else have model 3604 100W heater by Ebo-Jager? I've contacted the store I bought it from, and Ehiem directly, and I'll share with you what I hear from them. In the meantime, I'm curious if any of you have this model as well, and if so, is yours submerged?

For a long time ebo-jager made fully submersible heaters. About 5 years ago they added that "do not submerse below this line", but as far as I know the heater design didnt change untill Ehiem bought them out a couple years back. Many people still use them fully submerged. As long as your running a temperature controller of some kind I wouldnt worry too much. If you aren't running a controler, then I defintly wouldn't submerse them. All heaters are ticking time bombs, but the ebo's are one of the safest in my experience so far.

yeah i second the ebo jagers, i just got mine and it's been working fine ever since plugging it in, top of the line stuff

Same here. I bought the damn thing so I could fully submerse it needless to say I was not happy when I read the directions and they said not to when the box said it was.

So jezz you saying I can go ahead and dunk this puppy?

its for insurence purpus, by saying that its not submersible the are able to get there selfs outta a lot of possabul law relatied trouble.

if the heater brakes and you get shocked cause its broken if its not under the water i hear you will be ok. but

it is make and desighned to be subed

For what it's worth, a rep from Eheim responded to my email about the confusion regarding whether or not my heater was submersible. I'm glad they responded, and I thought their reply might help to eliminate some of the confusion. I copy the reply (and my initial question) below...rather entertaining actually :lol: Seems like I'm ok if I do this in Europe!

"Your heater is fully submersible according to European standards. However because Jager heaters are now manufactured in Germany a new UL certificate must be issued for the “New” company. This new certificate must be issued to comply with the North American standards, until then the heater must be labeled as not submersible in North America

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance.

Yours truly,

Ernesto Cedeno

Technical Support

[email protected]

http://www.eheim.com/http://www.eheim.com/

EHEIM North America Reg.

Hi,

I recently purchased 2 heaters (100W, #3604) for my tank. Your website says they are fully submersible, but there is a water line on the heater saying do not submerse below that line. Which is true? Can the heater be fully submersed?

For what it's worth, a rep from Eheim responded to my email about the confusion regarding whether or not my heater was submersible. I'm glad they responded, and I thought their reply might help to eliminate some of the confusion. I copy the reply (and my initial question) below...rather entertaining actually :lol: Seems like I'm ok if I do this in Europe!

"Your heater is fully submersible according to European standards. However because Jager heaters are now manufactured in Germany a new UL certificate must be issued for the “New” company. This new certificate must be issued to comply with the North American standards, until then the heater must be labeled as not submersible in North America

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance.

Yours truly,

Ernesto Cedeno

Technical Support

[email protected]

http://www.eheim.com/http://www.eheim.com/

EHEIM North America Reg.

Hi,

I recently purchased 2 heaters (100W, #3604) for my tank. Your website says they are fully submersible, but there is a water line on the heater saying do not submerse below that line. Which is true? Can the heater be fully submersed?

Well that clears that up

Thanks

In other words...North America is sue happy and we're covering our behinds! ;)

I actually don't trust any heaters anymore. I have an Ebo-Jager (also says do not submerse past this line), but I have to say, it doesn't read the water temp to what it is. I have to keep it set to a lower temp. It seems I always have issues with heaters, so I plan on getting a temperature controller for the QTs.

You should never trust your heaters thermostat. I have 3 ebo's. One is set for 76, one 77 and one 78, but they all keep it at 77.2(yah I know I keep my tank on the cool end). Go for a temp controller. Ranco makes some cheaper basic models for around 75 dollars I think(around 110 for a dual stage). There are models that will do a whole lot more then just temperature(wave timing, light timing/diming, ph probe and co2 reactors, timed feeding, etc), but those start at around 250.

I agree with jezzeaepi. The Ranco is what I'm considering for the QTs. I have the Aquacontroller for my display, and it controls temp ontop of the miriad of other things listed above....but they're pricey, that's for sure.

The thermostat on the heater is not always at fault. You need to consider heat/cold sources that can affect it's accuracey and the accuarcy of your thermometer. Powerheads, pumps and water flow exposed to open air will all affect it to some degree.

I have used Ebo consistantly for 10 years and in that time only had one bumb thermostat.

Cheers
Steve

Back