substrate green and slimy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

taxqueen

My tank is about 31/2 months old now and everything has been going well. I had what I was told diatom on my crushed coral and I was'nt to concerned as I knew the tank was still cycling. But in the last 3 weeks it has gotten really bad. The algae is flourescent green and slimy and covers most of the substrate. I do water changes once a week with ro water I have no idea what else to try. Any sugestions please, this is my first tank ever and need all the help I can get.

Fairlan made some good points there. Tell us a little more about your system, tank size , lighting, duration of lighting, any livestock in it?

tank

it is a 46 gallon, I have 2 t5 lights, 3 power heads and a canaster filter ans crushed coral on the bottom. I just added a protien skimmer so I don't know if that will improve it yet. I do have a clean up crew of about 20 snails, sea urchin, 2 peppermint shrimp, a brittle star and 2 emerald crabs. The only fish I have right now is a blenny, as well I have a condy anemone. I change 5 gallons of ro water once a week and my levels are ph 8.1, amonia 10, nitrate 0 nitrite 0. I'm at a loss as to how to stop the slime, it covers my whole sand bed.

being that ammonia 10, i would do another 25% water change, while cleaning the sand bed either by using your hand or a gravel vacuum. then i would put new carbon in your canister filter. how often do you change your canister filter media? how long are ya lights on? is the only flow in the aquarium your canister filter?; need more flow through your sand bed, how thick is it? what kind of substrate? crushed coral or sand?

We had that happen to us too. We done everything by the book and still had a terrible algae problem expecially on our sand. We recently got a orange spotted sleeper goby and he has done a wonderful job at least keeping our sand turned over. We now have no algae on our sand and after quite a few snails and crabs, all our algae is gone!

Ammonia 10? Like 10.0 ppm? Or did you mean 1.0?

Either way, not sure why you have any ammonia levels at all with just a blenny in a 46g, even if it wasn't cycled properly. Getting your ammonia levels down to 0 should be your first priority. Water changes, and finding what the source is (overfeeding? anemone meltdown? tons of uneaten food stuck in your crushed coral and cannister?) should help in reducing the nutrients that are obviously feeding what sounds to be cyanobacteria. If it's slimy and lays like a sheet, it's most likely cyano. Either way, it's definitely not diatoms.

How deep is your substrate in the bottom? My sister had the same exact issue and solved it by adding a skimmer, more flow in the tank and removing a large portion of the crushed coral from the bottom. You may also try adding something to stir up the sand, Sea star, nassarius snail.

Hello;

May I ask if you are sure of an Ammonia reading of 10 ? Could it be 1 ? Or ?

Did you use any Ammonia lock additives when cycling your tank as they have been know to give false readings.

Your fish and livestock should be dead with an Ammonia level at 10-ppm. I think a good siphon cleaning with a check on your power filter media should go a long way to eliminate your immediate problem.

Your feeding may be a cause for this also. Food is the main contributor of nutrients that cause Algae to grow. If a lot of food is laying on the substrate after feeding this is a clue to your beautiful green Algae. Your green Algae may be Cyano Bacteria --- hard to tell without a picture. I say beautiful as it is cleaning your water and removing waste.

Phosphate, Iron, and many other nutrients are in fish food. As the food gets broken down by Bacteria, Nitrate (a fertilizer) is released to feed Algae.

My experience has shown me that a tank, including bacteria, and Algae will respond in direct proportion to changes. So, if excess food is accumulating, Bacteria and Algae will respond to take care of the problems. Cyano Bacteria and Algae may be unsightly and not be wanted but it keeps your water cleaner for your livestock.

Just in case this is Cyano Bacteria, after a good tank cleaning I would suggest letting your water clear for a couple of hours. I would also suggest cleaning your power filter and replace the Carbon to remove any toxins that the Cyano bacteria may release.

I hope this helps 2-months later.

Enjoy!

OFM

Last edited:
Solved the Problem

she probably solved the problem, havent seen a reply in a month :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hope my input may help someone else browsing for answers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would you do with a brain if you had one!"

"Dorothy -- Wizard of Oz"

Enjoy!

OFM

Last edited:
Back