Substrate Question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
Hi everyone - I have a question for ya! I was wanting to use "sugar-sized" substrate for my little reef tank. I was looking at Aragmax Bahama Oolite 30 lbs for a 22 gallon tank (.5-1.1mm). According to Reef Central's calculator, it would give me about an inch and a half. I am wanting this mainly for looks and not for filtration (carbonate buffer maybe?). Has anybody had success with a shallow small-grained substrate? I read that I might have problems with my high flow moving it around and keeping the tank cloudy. Also, will I have trouble sucking up detritus with such small substrate? I don't have enough room to go "deep-sand-bed" and I really want a different look in my tank (tired of the same ol' substrate everyone seems to use). Any comments would be extremely helpful! P.S. Has anyone used Aragmax Live Sand (comes in a bag with a little water)? I decided against this route and thought my live rock would be enough to seed regular substrate. Thanks for your comments.

Don't bother with the bagged wet sand, you'll just spend money for little gain. If anything, seed it with sand from an established tank. I'm sure there are many in your area that would be willing. Avoid LFS sand, too much chance for parasites or copper contamination but be sure you ask whoever you get it from the same. If using live rock, you'll end up with the same in short order anyway.

As for your sand choice, it's a good size for the depth you want. I have the same thing (Caribsea argamax select) and it does actually contribute to denitrification. Floating sand can be a concern in the beginning but will subside once it gets some weight (bacteria/detritus), don't wash it ahead either. Just a light rinse to get rid of larger debris that will float. The buffering capacity of a sandbed is short lived so don't give it much thought.

Any substrate no matter the type or depth will store detritus to some degree. It really depends on how well flow is utilized to keep in in suspention as long as possible to how much will accumulate along with waste producing animal load/feedings. The one thing I like to do occassionally is fan the surface every few days with my long handled Kent scraper. It releases some junk back into the water and allows the corals/skimmer a second chance at it. If you have a sump/overflow, a sock will also help if used occassionally.

Cheers
Steve

Back