Substrate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
Me again with another question about substrates. I plan to get my sand this weekend so I wanted to know what should I get, I think I like the Fiji Pink but I would like to know what grain size would be best for a reef.

Last edited:
Believe it or not Carlos, I just put some fiji pink on my Premium Aquatics order yesterday. I'm, going to keep it on hand incase I decide to add it in my aquapod (I can't believe I said that:p ) . I've had it before and loved the look and grain:)

Depends upon how much maintenance you plan on doing. If you are a minimalist, the smaller size, the better. The larger the grain size, the more likely you are to have detritus filter down into the sand. So, if you plan on using material that is 1mm or larger, plan on frequently (every few weeks) siphoning your sand to clean it.

BUT, the smaller the particle size, the more it will blow around in high-flow tanks. So, there is no real win-win situation with a sandbed (other than in appearance :) ).

Believe it or not Carlos, I just put some fiji pink on my Premium Aquatics order yesterday. I'm, going to keep it on hand incase I decide to add it in my aquapod (I can't believe I said that:p ) . I've had it before and loved the look and grain:)

LOL can't believe it, Mr. Bare Bottom, you must really like that Fiji Pink stuff! :p

What grain size did you get?

LOL can't believe it, Mr. Bare Bottom, you must really like that Fiji Pink stuff!

What grain size did you get?

LOL! I'm torn here man:p I want certain fish/critters that require a sand bed so I may take the plunge and see how it goes. Worse case scenario is I'd have to suck it all back out(LOL) Seeing my nano won't have as much flow as my other tanks had in the past, I'll give it a shot (I think :oops: ) but here's the one I ordered:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=C-ARAG-L-FP&Category_Code=Substrates

This is fiji pink. It works fine. If you want to have sand. Pistol shirmp/ goby combos are the only reason I can see using sand for. LOL

Back