Such a simple thing (CPR skimmer problem)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snobanker

I know those of you who have CPR Bakpak skimmers or similar that have an airtube to the venturi on the pump have all had to constantly pull the pump to clean the intake of salt build up...I hate that.

Anyway today I noticed my CPR was no longer making the telltale noise it makes when it is working right and sure enough, no bubbles. I didn't want to pull the pump so I thought I'd try something else.

I took a little syringe thinking I could force some air through the tube to clear it up... which didn't work...until I used it to suck water back from the pump. I could instantly see the water, cloudy with the salt blockage, pull into the syringe and then the skimmer started working again.

I used one of those plastic 5 ml syringes you can get at drug stores for giving medicine to kids.....I'm gonna try it next time and see if this is a one time good luck deal, or something I can use every time. :)

I had the same problem with the CPR bakpak. my only remedy was a air pump and a wooden airstone worked like a charm.

Back