Suggestions on starting corals for an SPS tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OldManOfTheSea

My search into putting some type of SPS coral selection together is to be of some rather difficulties due to that the coral I thought to had selected, could or will be of some different SPS coral. Common names isn't the way in a persons search in this, and one cannot follow the data giving at many of those links which offers to sell such corals. So, pretty much now what it will be is that when the time comes to start with SPS corals, I would just have to select from what I can see from that coral link and not look for in what I seen at those rare coral links of such highly brightened color corals.

I spoken to one who will help me in making ready my QT with the 180 that I no wish to buy soft corals to which will or could spread out on other LR and which then will be only a further problem in removing. Also I was thinking of getting me a number of corals that cost less to just help in the age of the tank and then later I would return those corals to the LFS. This to me is only a last solution to the problem.

So, the question is, those who have a SPS reef tank, what corals you brought to start your tank off in its first 6-7 months, prior to buying any SPS corals?

Buddy

Hello,
LPS corals such as Euphyllia sp. (Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn, etc.) are good starter corals the can be colorful and provide nice movement while you are waiting for the tank to mature.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I been looking that way other then to have brain or bubble corals and I will have as well any number of zoa`s and ric corals. I called the guy who will do the new sump on the QT for him to call me to see if we could do this within the next few weeks.

Buddy

I have a number of suggestions which im running through at this moment, will post you when I a finally decision on those :)

Zoa’s/Paly’s – Lots
Yuma: Ricordea and Zoa`s, I plan to have these.

Blastomusa: does not like direct metal halide lighting and should be placed low and perhaps to the side of the aquarium

Micromusa: brain corals, I would get and return to the lfs some time later.

Lobophyllia

Acanthasthrea: acans, I know that I can manage these and they require space between them and other corals as well as being well feed and im thinking that depending on the acans species that often feedings would be required.

Turbinaria: From what little I know of this coral, it can do well under even the 175 MH I have, but is it a coral in which I can go with after the 3rd or 4th month?

Ricordea: Is there a big difference from this coral, to the Yuma?

Scolymia: I ruled this coral out for it mentions nothing that it requires MH.

Sinularia: I no wish to have any leather corals, I done enough with leather corals and brains and so when maintaining soft coral reef tanks.

This is another coral which I selected for having, True Red Flower Pot Coral (Goniopora sp.), I figure not to get until the tank is well enough aged for this coral.

Xenia cuspitularia – True blue: I figure not to get until the tank is well enough aged for this coral.

Favites: Difficulty to say, if I could get those that appear different from the brain it self, its OK

Duncanopsammia axifuga?
Cyphastrea_decadia?
Caulastrea?
Cloves OrangeStripeStargazer?
Euphyllia

Mushrooms – be careful of selection as these can get out of control and are toxic to SPSs

Bali Green Slimer?

Buddy

Both Turbinaria reniformis and peltata are hardy and easy to come by. They both should do well under 175W halides.

Ricordia and Yuma mushrooms have identical care but Ricordia usually have brighter colors and prefer higher light (175W halides are fine).

Acropora yongei (Slimer) will also do just fine under 175W halides.

Regards,
Kevin

Ricordia and Yuma mushrooms have identical care but Ricordia usually have brighter colors and prefer higher light (175W halides are fine).

In my experience, R.yumas can be mean SOB's. In my tank they were much more aggressive than the R. floridas, and caused more damage to corals they happened to spread close to.

Is there a difference between these names or there on and the same?
Superman monti
Superman danae

I may soon have some good news, at downunder, they gotten a deposit on the 150 gal tank and the custom stand/canopy I wanted build and im asking $2,000 and I already told Kevin that I cannot cut it anymore then that, for on the tank itself, im losing more then $326.00 with an addition of another $250.00 for the 40 amp box I had put in for this tank. It gives me a total lost of more then $575.00, and not to mention the time, delays in starting either of the tanks, the 180 or 150.

I will not ask of any suggestion at this time for the best lighting to look to get here until it is sold, one cannot get what their not the money for. But on the lighting idea, im in mind for the double edge 250 watt MH and VHO, etc, all the best I could ask for.

Buddy

Hello Buddy,
The Superman is a Montipora but I do not believe it is a Montipora danae. The Superman specimens that I have seen have uniform polyps across the surface and M. danae has nodules between the polyps.

I have been switching from VHO to T-5 HO bulbs. They put out more light, use less energy, and cost less to replace.

Regards,
Kevin
PS: I wanted to clarify that yuma and florida are both Ricordia mushoom corals. The florida ones are usually the most colorful and in demand.

Back