Suggestions Please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooterman

Since I've already blown my budget, (In the process of setting up a Cl, also Phosphate reactor, redoing flooring before moving tank) I’m looking for a better skimmer than my turbo-floater 1000, it is having a hard time keeping up with my tank, works great, I just think I need more power, filling cups twice a day. Can someone post their experience with the Euro-Reef look alike or other skimmers of that type but half the price?

That's the same thing I did! But my tank size was more than doubled. ASM G3 is kicking some major a$$, for much less $$ than a Euroreef.:)

Scooterman said:
I'm looking at the Mad Dog skimmer, they are working on a proto type I may buy.
Scott,
Can you post a link to this skimmer?
Thanks, Scott

Hey Scott,
I really like the looks of the Mad Dog skimmer. It addresses 2 concerns I have with Euroreef. The first being ease of skimmer cup removal. The second.........No skimmer cup drain plug.
Don't get me wrong. I really love the way my ER skimms.:D
It does look like the MD skimmer is an affordable alternative. I say you need to be the Mad Dog skimming tester for RF.:cool:
Scott

I was told it is easy to clean, & they hade an O-ring type available to simply remove the cup wash it & pop it back on. I would think the drain may need to be a little larger because of particulate size of the skimmer junk but I can't tell from the photos. I have a turbofloater 1000 sump, the cup just pops off quickly, the bad thing is trying to clean the entire tube, it isn't easy, the ER & ASM & Mad Dog has the top of the body removable enough to clean thoroughly. I offered to be their tester & I will test & post the results for them, I'm waiting for them to finalize their new skimmer, I may have to wait a little longer because I might have an Height issue, not sure yet but will post progress as things go.

Back