Suicidal Fish (a continuation of 'Poof Fish Gone'

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

So I had been very confused on where my fish where going (or dying) well it turns out they where on my floor.

First to jump was two green chromis followed by a firefish. This is when I discovered the bodies....... I thought it was my K3 facing upward so I turned it off and took it out.

THIS MORNING my Bi Color Blenny (year and a half i've had this guy) was on the carpet (pretty far too)

WHAT THE HELL

Do I have super depressed fish, I know it's been a rough winter but COME ON....

Can't really cover tank..... Do I need to think about consoling?

ideas, thought, similar issues?

Hmmm, I would definetly look into counseling..... Have you checked params? Maybe the water quality is so bad they want to evacuate? lol. What about doing some screening over the top? I was thinking about doing this if i got a wrase.... btw, sorry bout that, we lost 4 fish last week too. crappy!

Fire fish jump out all the time. Check for knats or any other small bugs flying over your tank.

Don

no cats.... probably some bugs though...... I'll need to rig something to stop the suicide's.... I feel like i'm working under the Fremont bridge.

We had a Goby jump the other night. We have some acrylic over our tank with i would say 1/3 of an inch in a 4 inch spot. I was told they look for a place to jump out of (was told after it happned). So make sure when you do put something on there that it is 100% jump proof! Im still working on mine my drills wont stay chrged for more then 2 min! really sucks having to wait 2 hours for 2 min of drill time.

I have an Elos tank which is completely open top, and in this last year I have had a Japanese swallowtail angel, a blue tang, and two male squammi anthias jump out of my tank. Luckily I was around when the blue tang and one of the anthias jumped out, but the other two ended up dried to a crisp before I found them =( And let me tell you, getting the blue tang back in the tank was a very unpleasant experience for both me and the fish. He got so stuck behind the tank that I had to grab him with my hand, and toss him in to a net, which he got both of his barbs stuck in.... I spent the next 30 minutes trying to cut an angry thrashing fish out of the net. The fish made it, but not before stabbing me multiple times with his barbs. I was bleeding all over myself by the time it was done!!

I see some people cover their Elos tanks, but that is a complete waste IMHO. Three out of the four jumped out along the backside of the tank, so I am in the process of building an acrylic shield to block off the gap. For the other three sides of the tank though, I still have no solution.

Back