Sump Advice...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lunchie

We have had our tank up for a year now and have finally decided to make some much needed upgrades. We currently are using a Rena Canister filter but our ready to switch to a SUMP. I am looking at this one:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=1314

If anyone has input on where to get one, what to watch for, and the DO'S and DON'TS of adding a SUMP it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
:)

Sorry I can't help you. But you may not be happy with the skimmer provided with that one. Hopefully someone here will beable to help you.

I've never seen them before...I typically like the DIY sumps as you can modify them the way you want and use whichever skimmer, return pump etc you'd want. Just my opinion though...I typically don't like the fact that you have to use a submersible pump to bring water from the tank to the sump rather than a pre-filter on the sump you are looking at...

Have you considered making your own? I just used a 15G glass tank, glued in the acrylic baffles and was set. It was easy, cheap, and can be modified for the parts you want (skimmer, pumps, ect). There was a site, something like Melve's reef, that has a bunch of good information that helped me when I built one. Good luck.

ha ha "it's the best natural filter on the market today"
thats a f****** joke!
their pumps are crap, their skimmers are crap, dont waste the money!

youd be much better off spending your money on a good skimmer, then you could use an inexpensive glass or acrylic tank as a sump. it's pretty easy to add some baffles to the sump as well if you still want a refugium in there too.
what size display tank do you have and what do you keep in it?

(great skimmer that gets excellent aspiration from adjustable 1400 Catalina Pump - makes for lots of bubbles, and promotes better filtration).

That's FUNNY! If it were my choice ... Like mentioned above, I would spend the $225.00 on a good skimmer and use a glass tank as a sump for now.. The skimmer in that deal is probably manufactured for less than $5.00. However that is just opinion.

Check this out, they even have Knock off Loc-line, notice the spelling

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=1342

Last edited:
Build a sump yourself. This is like buying a toaster/microwave oven/coffee machine/dishwasher. Its got everything but are they really the pieces you want. Don't get upset that many people here are saying not to go with this product. We are all just trying to help. When you think of the absurdity of my toaster product you'll understand why people are slamming this catalina sump. Do some research as to exactly what sort of sump you want and more importantly one that can satisfy the requirements of your tank (you'll be surprised at the number of options), there are plenty of ideas on RF and all over the web. Then learn about the equipment your going to put in it (skimmers, pumps, heater? sand? bioballs? some other medium? no medium? chiller..... I could go on and on). In other words do it right and if you spend more it won't be as much as when you throw that piece of junk in the trash and have to start over.

For a 75G tank you can get a glass 30g that would also increase your water volume. Just make sure it will fit in your stand. Like mentioned above yo can get acrylic @! your local glass shop cut to fit. I like the easy three baffle design, this leaves room to add skimmer heater etc. I guess you could get fancy but for me all I use the sump for is to add water volume & hide equipment but your tank needs may be different so everything needs to be considered.

Back