Sump and overflow box

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

memer

I am finally ready to set up a sump filter on my 115 gallon tank and would like some advice please. I aquired a custom designed sump. It is 18 x 18 square and 16 inches tall, divided inside to four compartments, intake, skimmer, refugium and outlet. I will be using an overflow box, rated at 1000 gph. I was thinking of placing the overflow on the middle of the back and having a split return, water coming in to the tank on each side, about 15 inches to each side of the overflow box. Would this give the best filtration and flow? Or should I place the overflow box to one side or the other and have the water return in the middle or at the opposite end from the overflow box? All suggestions will be appreciated. I am new at this even though I have kept a saltwater tank the last four years.

I think you should re think your sump/refugium. Seems a bit small for a 115g but I'm sure you can make it work but I would do a 30-40 gallon at the very least.:)

Yes, 30 - 40 gallon is what I originally wanted but was assured that this sump would be very good and more than adequate, I'm a trusting person (naive). I will do my best to make this work. If it doesn't I will try to sell it and recoup my losses and attempt to build my own or purchase another.

If you have the room and can find a new home for the one you have, than a larger one would work better and you'd be happier in the long run.

Back