Sump design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FUBAR

I'm awesome.
I just setup a 30gallon cube. We used a plastic bin type thing for the sump and it worked great, except for one minor problem, after looking at it... we realised it's too shallow. If something were to happen, that thing would flood in no time. So now I'm going to go get one built at a local glass place. I've on got a 16x18 area to work with as far as footprint, and a total of 24" in height inside the stand. Here's and quick idea of what I was thinking of. Please make any suggestions you can.

I'm using a hangon skimmer, so I didn't figure that into the sump design. And I needed it small enough to where I can actually take it out of the stand, that's why I didn't use the max size.

The top left corner is where the overflow drains to, the bottom left is the refugium area, and the right side is the return.
sump-refugium.jpg

If I'm looking at the drawing correctly, the only issues I see you may possibly have is micro bubbles. Without a bubble trap in there (usually a series of about 3 baffles or so spaced about an inch apart that alows water to flow over, under, over or vice versa as an example) your incoming water from your overflow may add quite a bit of bubbles into the sump and there may not be anywhere for them to go so as a result, they'll end up in the return chamber and the pump will shoot them back into the tank.

Here's a top view of my old sump so you can get an idea of what I mean by the buble trap. Water enters from the right side where you see that hole and then flows across. The bubble trap is the 3 pieces of acrylic side by side spaced about an inch apart. When the sump was running, that first chamber use to be full of micro-bubbles, but none ever made it to the return chamber.

And here's a side view incase it helps some. If your sump size was bigger, I think your design wouldn't be a problem at all, but with the dimensions, I'm thinking micro-bubbles may possibly be an issue. Just a thought...:)

Yeah I was thinking about that. But because I'm so restricted in dimensions, I didn't think I could add that in there and still have enough room in the return. I'll work up another design when I get home, so I can measure the size of the pump, etc.

Cool...If it helps any, that sump in my pic is 20L x 14h x 14w. Depending on what you are trying to keep in the sump and the size of your return pump, you may get by with something similar in design. Also, If you are willing to change out a sponge every other day and want to use the design you have, you can probably factor in one of those block/square sponges before your return pump as they will catch most of the micro-bubbles as the water passes through it. That's part of the reason why you will see wet/dry filters with a sponge right before thre return pump chamber. Another little trick is an elbow on the return pump like I have in my pic sucking water off the bottom of the sump like an inch or so up. Bubbles will rise so you won't be sucking as much and also, it gives you a bit more "play" with your water level as your pump can be almost be completely exposed to air, but still operate:)

Ok, so if you look at the picture now, that should be fine right? Now with the bubble trap.... is there any reason for it being 1" apart?

The spacing between the baffles in your bubble trap, is to allow a good flow rate, yet slow enough flow over all so it doesn't take the bubbles with them. Usually, 1" spacing is the minimum you want to go for your spacking on baffles (I use 3" spacing on mine, with no bubbles at all).

That looks good man and should help! With your space restraints, 1 inch like I used should do the trick. I went 1 inch apart because space was an issue for me as well:)

Back