Sump detirius

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sedrostyle

Hi everyone I finally upgraded to a 55 with a sump underneath.
The overflow is built in and it kinda just drains into the sump.
I have probably 80 lbs of live rock. Tank used to be setup as two separate tanks and now it's one big display on then the sump. I do water changes probably every 2 or 3 weeks depending I how busy life goes. I have four t5 lights. Hopefully soon to be LEDs. Anyways

I do have a tune skimmer that I haven't dialed in yet to get darker tea so well see how hat goes
but my question is
I've seemed to have junk at the bottom of my first chamber where my overflow drains
i usually take some it with the turkey baster. But I'd like to syphon it out with a hose. BUT problem is my sump is maybe 2 inches off the ground and obviously with a syphon it needs to be lower than the things ur sucking out.
Any ideas? I was thinking about a filter sock of the overflow drain just to catch particals.
Any help or suggestions would be awesome

Shopvac will take it out. I tried this for the first time a couple weeks ago when I did a water change. Worked like a champ!

HAHAHA shop vac.. good idea :D
and i mean it drains out. the overflow is INSIDE the tank off to one side. and the tank is DRILLed thru the bottom. so its " kinda draining "
:D
it drains very well. it is kinda noisy but we got used to it and its soothing too.

I will have to get some panty hoes or buy a filter sock. Im unsure if my LFS " petco is the closest " will have them.
panty hoes shall work until I can make it to my good LFS saltwater place right?
and I'll probably be at RED Cs sale this weekend, so I could grab one there

Back