Sump/fuge LED flood light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

estanoche

Lions stalk orcas!
RF Premium Member
I've used a laundry list of various lights in my fuges - most, drive me nuts.... desk lamps rust and the bulbs get hot and encrust with salt creep.... Many aren't bright enough, or don't light up the whole area, and some just don't fit under my tank!! (I've got way too much crap under there already :blah: :blah: ) haha

So, recently on a late night ebay binge I decided it was time to get me one of thes nifty LED flood lights from China I've been seeing around!! My macro was doing great under the 21W PAR38 LEDs I use in my frag tank until I had to move it out due to the urchin I added, and has been just hanging on under this old plant grow light in the sump of my main tank for the past few months, limping along (its about a 12W led I think)

(this is my old light, also chinese in origin)
IMG_00771.jpg

My house plants did great under this red/blue/orange spectrum light, but the macro was just sucking - staying alive, but not growing anywhere. Before I used this light I was also using an old desk lamp that grew cheato well enough, but really didn't "light up my life" like I really wanted...

So, thanks to ebay I acquired this guy - 20W LED outdoor flood light (my husband says this has to the biggest LED chip he has ever seen, lol)... full enclosed, waterproofed, & powder coated :heh: :heh:

IMG_00751.jpg

and a quick trip to lowe's netted me a replacement cord so I could plug it into the wall... got that all soldered in (sorry, was too excited to plug it in to get a pic of my expert electrical work :bolt: )

IMG_00761.jpg

AND, we are in business!!

IMG_00781.jpg

IMG_00791.jpg

It's a fuge - impossible to take pics of under the stand!! lol so thats as good as it gets for now... instead, we will have to settle for macro growth shots....

This is gonna be my test macro to see how well it does under the new light - flame algae, day 1 -

IMG_00811.jpg

It only took this algae a week or two to start getting red tips under my PAR38s before, so fingers crossed, I will see the same here so I can feel better about my late night ebay purchase :)

:cheer2:

Yeah I purchased the 50 watt one a few weeks ago for a 40g breeder refugium can't wait to start using it as I'm still in my build process

Very nice find...I'm getting tired of constantly replacing the 150-250 DE bulbs for the Home Cheapo Chinese Halogen shop light. Bulbs seem to last about 6 months if left on constantly, significantly less if turned on and off....

I might have to start checking ebay for that light, especially if it grows macro for you.

Nick

Aha - so, update time :)

I may have neglected my "test algae" as it fell off the rock I had it on - but I placed it back up there! It seems the red algaes I have in there are bleaching a bit, but my green algaes have perked up well!

The test subject
IMG_0092.jpg

And, I'll start shooting the cheato, may be an easier gauge of effectiveness - I see a few strands growing out towards the light!
IMG_0093.jpg

More updates :)

Cheato has taken off - so +1 for the light :) I think its working perfectly......
a120e7d2.jpg

And, the flame algae is still alive..... barely kickin' is prolly how I'd describe it lol.... the cheato is starting to shade it now, so I wonder if that will help me ID if it was a) getting too much light or b) not enough with this new system (FWIW, the flame was never kept in any of the earlier systems, so I do not know if they were good enough to keep it alive before)
1be1d400.jpg

Back