Sump is running (somewhat)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

clownman

Ok well with everyones imput from last week I worked on my sump and it is running somewhat running. My skimmer is in the first chamber and I had it discharging into the first section of the bubble trap. My return pump is in the second chamber. The skimmer was dumping water to the bubble trap to fast so for my return pump and the skimmer would loose suction. So right now I have my discharge going back into the skimmer section and the pump and skimmer are holding steady. I have a new pump on the way. I guess it isn't hurting anything,but the water is just getting skimmed more. The refugium has sand and crushed coral base 1 to 1 1/2 height. I need to get somethings in there. Isn't it the chateao that goes in there. Tell me what you think.

Ok well with everyones imput from last week I worked on my sump and it is running somewhat running. My skimmer is in the first chamber and I had it discharging into the first section of the bubble trap. My return pump is in the second chamber. The skimmer was dumping water to the bubble trap to fast so for my return pump and the skimmer would loose suction. So right now I have my discharge going back into the skimmer section and the pump and skimmer are holding steady. I have a new pump on the way. I guess it isn't hurting anything,but the water is just getting skimmed more. The refugium has sand and crushed coral base 1 to 1 1/2 height. I need to get somethings in there. Isn't it the chateao that goes in there. Tell me what you think.

You know, they actually have re-circulating skimmers that do basically what you were doing! As for chaeto, usually one of the more popular forms of macro used out there. Never used it, but heard good things. I'm sure teh others will chime in on it for you.

Glad you got the sump up and running!! Hope it all works out well with the new pump! :)

I am glad to here that so maybe this pump I will keep as a backup because it is pumping back fine as long as I don't have the skimmer pumping directly into the bubble chamber. My main concern was the skimmer pumping to fast for the pump. But by recirulating the skimmer water and just the overflow going over the top of the bubble trap the pump keeps up and skimmer doesn't run out of water. Also can unplug everythingf and have plenty of room for drain back.

I just have my skimmer recirculating in the first chamber, then it overflows through the bubble trap to the return chamber. I think that is a fine way to do it. Not sure I've heard of people putting the discharge directly into the bubble trap

Sounds like you've got it set up just fine. My skimmer discharges in the same section it is stationed in. I understand the more you skim the better. And I have cheato, grape caulerpa and mexicana caulerpa in my refug/sump.

I've always just let my skimmers dump back into the same chamber they sit in. That way you don't have to worry so much about running out of water in the chambers do to the return pump not being able to keep up with the extra water flow. In addition, if you turn off your return pump, you don't have to worry about shutting down the skimmer as well. With it sucking and dumping in the same chamber, the pump will always have water to keep it going as it will be recirculating the water within that chamber. Just imagine what would happen though if you are out and your return pump kicks the bucket :eek:! if the skimmer was dumping in the next chamber, then it will eventually run the chamber dry and burn up the pump.

Discharge on my skimmer is in the same compartment as well. Get a bit of chaeto from a local reefer and drop it in that fuge. If you don't have any rock in there I'd recommend sticking a nice chunk in there to give the chaeto something to latch onto.

Mike

mcoomer said:
Discharge on my skimmer is in the same compartment as well. Get a bit of chaeto from a local reefer and drop it in that fuge. If you don't have any rock in there I'd recommend sticking a nice chunk in there to give the chaeto something to latch onto.

Mike

In regards to your cheato, does that method work best for you? I've read here where Anthony Calfo said he had best success with the chaeto not attached to anything, but rather as a small ball tumbling in the chamber. Not sure if one way is better than the other but i do remember Calfo saying that was his preferred method. I've never used the stuff so I have no idea lol.

Just threw up a poll on chaeto for those interested. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f36/poll-chaeto-how-you-use-59656/

Last edited:
ok well I need to find some chaeto local to throw into the refugium. Just got my new skimmer today with a bigger pump so I will be playing this weekend to see what is the best. Sound s like with everyones help I have a great success on my first sump. Now I will be able to get rid of that cannister filter all together. Everyone on here has been a great help. I moved over to here just a few days ago and have been very impressed.

clownman said:
ok well I need to find some chaeto local to throw into the refugium. Just got my new skimmer today with a bigger pump so I will be playing this weekend to see what is the best. Sound s like with everyones help I have a great success on my first sump. Now I will be able to get rid of that cannister filter all together. Everyone on here has been a great help. I moved over to here just a few days ago and have been very impressed.

Glad you are enjoying it here! Really a wonderful place!:)

Back