sump newbi

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dirtyd206

Hi so im new to the sump thing. or at least trying to build them. so my question is how high do i want the baffeles, and where do i want to put the skimmer in the mix i was thinking having the flow go from right to left. raw water to the fuge then a bafel and then the skimmer and return in the same area to maximize space but then id have a big problum with bubble in the main tank right? im not to worried about the bubbles as saving space for the fuge. the tank i will be using for the sump is 30x12x17 tall and will be under a 75 galllon. any sketches will be apreciated greatly thanks. i have been scratching my head on this for a week. thanks:confused: ps the skimmer foot print is 8.5x11

Height of the baffles can depend on how big/tall your sump is, what kind of skimmer you are getting and how far it needs to be down in the water. You want some room in the sump for drainage from your tank if your power fails. Here is a shot of my sump that I built. It has 2 sections. One for the drain from the tank and skimmer and the next section is the return. My fuge is seperate and sits above and off to the side of my sump:
DSC01963-65K.JPG

The baffles are 1" apart and the center one is 1" off the bottom

DSC01968-103K.JPG

You can also check here for some cool ideas on how to design your sump:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Check the links on the left hand menu to see his different designs.

Last edited:
If you can leave enough space between the baffles for your hand and rag to fit in between them. You will get alot of detritus build up in the baffles and you want an easy access to clean them out.

Height of the baffles can depend on how big/tall your sump is, what kind of skimmer you are getting and how far it needs to be down in the water. You want some room in the sump for drainage from your tank if your power fails. Here is a shot of my sump that I built. It has 2 sections. One for the drain from the tank and skimmer and the next section is the return. My fuge is seperate and sits above and off to the side of my sump:
DSC01963-65K.JPG

The baffles are 1" apart and the center one is 1" off the bottom

DSC01968-103K.JPG

You can also check here for some cool ideas on how to design your sump:
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Check the links on the left hand menu to see his different designs.

I was thinking using a 29g for my sump but in looking at your pics it looks like you did too. My only question I have is where can I get glass panels to create the diff sections? Or do I have to get the sizes and go to a glass company/store?

Last edited:
I was thinking using a 29g for my sump but in looking at your pics it looks like you did too. My only question I have is where can I get glass panels to create the diff sections? Or do I have to get the sizes and go to a glass company/store?

Yep, head to your local glass supply/repair store. I think the panels cost me about 25.00 and they finish the edges so you don't slice yourself open when you have to work on it. I got my panels from White Center Glass.

You can also go to Home Depot and get the glass. I've gone there in the past to get glass cut for windows and they sell acrylic sheets on the shelf.

You can also go to Home Depot and get the glass. I've gone there in the past to get glass cut for windows and they sell acrylic sheets on the shelf.

I tried that. They told me that HD no longer cuts glass because of the liability. maybe that's a WA state thing. I dunno.

I tried that. They told me that HD no longer cuts glass because of the liability. maybe that's a WA state thing. I dunno.

The last time I got a piece cut was in Wa in 2007. They may have changed the rules since then. I'm sure they still sell acrylic precut sheets though eh?

they doo got the acrylic sheets. the only glass cutting i know of however is just for picture frames... very thin stuff.

this is a great thread.. i have been thinking about moding my sea clear sys putting in a sump and refug and a good size skimmer this thread has helped a great deal

Back