Sump or no sump......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

billdo

Ok, I am in the process of setting up a 40 gal. reef tank. Currently I have 4 96 watt bulbs, 1 actinic and one 10k. I was in the process of setting up a sump. I am extremely new to reef tanks. When I bought my tank, I was told it was a reef tank. But further investiagtion turned up that it was actually a 40 gal. acrylic fresh water tank. Even though the owner of the shop told me it was a reef tank. SO I do not have any overflows. Now the last time I was in a local reef store. I was told that with the size of my tank, all I would need is a good protein skimmer and a sump would be wothless on my tank. Unfortunately the protein skimmer does not skim off the top of the water. I am using the Remora (it was recomended to me). Now I have a nasty green film on the top of the water. The only idea that I have is to do a sump, now. Use an external over flow, or have an internal installed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated.

do some water changes... and you can get a box so your skimmer does pull off the surface they have them with the remoras on marinedepot.com.

-Josh

The good thing about putting in a sump is you can put all your unsightly junk like heaters and skimmers in it. A 10 gallon aquarium would work great.

hehe, in this hobby, bigger is always better :D ... In my sump I have my refugium... there are some real cool ways to do it, do you have an overflown already?

In my experience the better choice is a sump I believe the equipment works better I had a aqua remora pro hang on and it did not do to well at eliminating nitrates I put a sump in and a cpr wet dry sump/skimmer combo and whamo zero nitrates and it's stayed that way for a year :) and more room in my tank and it looks way better as well :)

Back