Sump Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
I have set up my new tank & have a 4 chamber sump under. In the compartment with the skimmer there is a film of stuff on top of the water. The other 3 compartments are clear on top & my main tank is too. Is this normal to have a film on top of the skimmer one? If not, what do I need to do?

the film is in the skimmer champer? are you still using the mj for a return. if so thats the issue not enough flow going thru there. you could cut the hose to the skimmer and place it just below the water line and will give you a surface skimming in a way function it will pull water from the top and also below.....

Got a better pump for the return & am using a Berlin skimmer. everything is doing good except the film... will try to run a tube up closer to the top of the chamber to pull the water more from the top. Finally got my foam right too on the skimmer... finally! I was about to go crazy!

I set up a new Octopus skimmer and it had a film in the sump compartment but so did my main tank. My refugium seemed film clear.
This went away after about a week.

It is only in the skimmer chamber. Not the other chambers of the sump or in my display tank. I do have some carbon padding I could use in the first chamber. Had planned on it to cut down on some of the noise of the water flowing in & also trap debris.

Back