Sump setup questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandra6500

Since I will be upgrading my tank in a little while I'm starting to think about my new sump. Right now my sump is tiny (10 gallons) and terribly cluttered.

Things I'm looking for:

~I am running a HOB CPR skimmer off my sump- its a total pain and I would like to upgrade to an in-sump skimmer.

~I want to keep my refugium section to grow my chaeto and pods. The marco algae has really helped me keep my nitrates at close to zero.

~I would like a more effective way to run the water through my Chemipure and Rowaphos... right now the media bags are hanging over the baffles in my sump.

~I do not want another filter sock- the stupid things clog in 2 seconds flat it seems. I would like to run the water thru some sort of mechanical filtration to get rid of dog hair and other particles however.

I'm limited size wise to about 30x15 (height less important). Anyone have anything premade that they have had good luck with? I'm not finding much and would like to avoid custom if possible.

So the 30x15 is the bottom foot print you have to work with? If so, I would get either a tank 30 inches long to convert it into a sump and just silicone your baffles in there how you want them or have something custom built because a 10 gal really limits you due to it's small footprint. For your media, you can always use a phosban reactor and put whatever media you want in that. The can sit in sump or externally and don't cost much nor does it take up a lot of space. Here is a link to it. All you need is a very small powerhead like a maxijet to run it. TLF-PHOSREC Premium Aquatics - TLF-PHOSREC Aquarium Supplies

+1 with Kirsh, A 20gal long is 30x12 footprint. Plastic is very easy to cut and install. You could build your sump for under $40. If you need help with the cutting and placement of the baffles I would be glad to help.

Back