Sump Tank Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kurt

I looking at the best filter for my 30 gallon tank and I'm thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank and using it for a sump. I'll put my heater and skimmer in the sump and plus do my water changes in the sump also. My question is what do I use for the floor of the 10 gallon sump? Leave it bare or put crush corral/sand down? Also what do I put in the sump to help control algea growth?

Thanks,
Kurt

With it only being a 10gal, I wouldn't put anything down on the bottom. A dsb will take up too much space and require too much maintenace without much resuts IMO. Leaving it bare will allow you to keep a cleaner sump and utilize the space more:)

hey buddie, look same thing your talking about,

30 gal with a overflow, a 10 gal tank made in to a sump, lighting on the sump. skimmer, and heater in sump.

i put the sump together. i have CC and LS in the im growing cheto, culpa and this bad algea thing (planed mission to removed algae)

you will need a overflow, (unless your tank is RR)
return pump, and a aqua lifter. (at the least)
i think this will clear it up for ya
Picture3000407.jpg

Picture3000409.jpg

Picture3000410.jpg

Picture3000415.jpg

Picture3000417.jpg

Picture3000474.jpg

Picture3000657.jpg

its all changed, thos are old pics, the outlet is out side the tank on the wall and theres no power cords layin on te ground. but back when i first put the sump together it was like that for a little

The biggest problem with a 10g is its size. I wouldnt put anything in it at all. If you use any baffels at all, I would only make one for the return pump area. Evaporation in a tiny sump is a issue, since you really only have room for a gallon or so of return area. So basicly if the tank evaporates a gollon of water the return pump sucks air. You can over come this with a auto top-off. Without one youll be strapped to the tank.

Don

ya, deffently gonna need that auto topp off.

my tank is almost maintence free

Hi,

I would put those critters that sneak in with the rock in the sump with some live sand and enjoy. Algea would appear to be something thats gonna grow in your tank, phosban in a fluidized reactor may help towards keeping it under control, dont overfeed.

How about using one of those larger Rubbermaid containers? That'd give you a lot more area, more water capacity, better filtration results for very little money. I've been considering doing one for awhile now but am still trying to decide if I'm going to break down my main tank and drill it first or go with an HOB overflow.

I looking at the best filter for my 30 gallon tank and I'm thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank and using it for a sump. I'll put my heater and skimmer in the sump and plus do my water changes in the sump also. My question is what do I use for the floor of the 10 gallon sump? Leave it bare or put crush corral/sand down? Also what do I put in the sump to help control algea growth?

Thanks,
Kurt

I agree, would go to at least a 20g if you can. I have a 50g and it's amazing how fast it fills up when you start putting all the stuff in it.

Back