sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tony2005

ok guys need your help and tip on how to build a sump i'am thinking off using a 20gal tank.if possible can u guy put out some pic off diy sump:D

thanks
tony

thank krish

can u see in the pic what are they using to hold the dividers in place or do u know they kind of glue they are using:oops:

No...I have no idea what they are using. I'd imagine it's probably just some non-toxic tank silicone or something. I'm sure someone like Tom (BigT) would have an idea how it is assembled or how you could modify a standard tank...

Do you plan on creating an entire sump out of acrylic, or siliconing baffles into an existing tank? I did the latter, using 1/4" acrylic in a 40G glass tank. There is significant bowing of the acrylic, and the silicon didn't hold well at all. I would highly recommend having glass cut to make your baffles.

Good luck!

FishinInTheDark said:
Do you plan on creating an entire sump out of acrylic, or siliconing baffles into an existing tank? I did the latter, using 1/4" acrylic in a 40G glass tank. There is significant bowing of the acrylic, and the silicon didn't hold well at all. I would highly recommend having glass cut to make your baffles.

Good luck!

i'am planning on a 20 or 30gal glass tank possible a long 20 or 30 gal so i can try to get a sump and Refugium build in.i'am planning on using glass and have it pre cut for the sump/refuguim or i could try my glass cutting skill:eek: :D

thank for the advise
tony

Good luck man! Cutting glass is incredibly easy. The only thing is that you want to get the edges polished so they are no longer sharp for when you are in there performing maintenance. To cut glass, you simply need a strait edge and a glass cutter which you can get at a glass shop, or craft shop. Make one firm pass w/ the glass cutter against the strait edge. Then w/ your hands facing away from you grasp the glass in both hands w/ one hand on each side of the score. Your thumbs should be near the score and simply snap it apart.

big t said:
Good luck man! Cutting glass is incredibly easy. The only thing is that you want to get the edges polished so they are no longer sharp for when you are in there performing maintenance. To cut glass, you simply need a strait edge and a glass cutter which you can get at a glass shop, or craft shop. Make one firm pass w/ the glass cutter against the strait edge. Then w/ your hands facing away from you grasp the glass in both hands w/ one hand on each side of the score. Your thumbs should be near the score and simply snap it apart.

thanks big t for the advise,hey i got a ideal how about i send u the glass and the tank and u can make me a sump:lol: ;) :oops:

Well that isn't very sporting of you. Give it a shot, it will be pretty easy.

big t said:
Well that isn't very sporting of you. Give it a shot, it will be pretty easy.

i just thought i'll give it a try:lol:i guess better luck next time:D
come on it just a hop skip and away to tocoma:lol: (just joking)

Last edited:
Back