Sun corals????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kimberlee1

So a month or so ago I got my very first sun coral.....They were not very happy when they got to me and I have been trying to nurse them back. Doing do in an sps tank thinking that a daily feeding would be enough has not worked. I moved them to my softy tank where they might be able to eat more regularly. Already they seem much happier. What I would love to know is how often should they be directly fed? 2-3 times a week? Daily? or 2-3 times a day like I just heard from a friend? Anything else anyone can add to this that I might be missing would be very welcome. Thx everyone.

When I had them I fed 2 to 3 times a week. I cut the top off a soda bottle and drilled a hole in the cap to syringe the food in the dome over them so it didn't float out , so the food stayed close. Was fun to watch them catch the food

Thx, I didn't think 2-3 times a day was necessary, but these guys are looking starved, or just didn't like the other tank. I've been removing them as to give them a better feeding with out dirtying the tank. They are looking better but I'm not always as patient as I would like to be.

lots of protein every other day 20mins after lights go out. the more u feed the faster it will grow. i like watching mine eat silversides i cut up into thirds easily the biggest pig in my tank even over the fish lol

The last week I have been removing them and feeding them separate so they can get as much as they need and than feeding the tank. They are looking better everyday since doing this, and will hopefully continue to do get better. I wasn't seeing and polyps for a while and they are now starting to extend, I think that's a good sign.

Sun polyps are a great coral and gorgeous when they open just after the lights go out. Mine open about an hour after the lights go out. I had mine for some time now and it has grown from 12 or 13 polyps to over 20 now. I feed at the same time three times a week, (Mon, Wed, and Fri), one hour after the lights go out and the polyps are in full display. I was feeding at 2:00 PM in the afternoon but the fish would take the food from the polyps. They can be trained to eat what ever time of the day you would like just by moving the feeding time a bit or feeding them when you see just a small tenticle poking out. However they will almost always display at night. On weekends I put rotifers into the water column and let them feed naturally.

I do hope you enjoy the sun's they are a great addition to any tank and worth the little extra work.

I purchased mine at the local LFS it has grown several new polyps with regular feedings. It is now coming out just before lights out and I feed it frozen enriched brine shrimp and frozen mystic shrimp. Grown out eight new polyps, what a wonderful feeling to see the coral doing so well. I am presently looking for a black sun and the rare green sun coral if anyone has a lead where I might get a lead on them. By the way my sun is not in the shade of a rock but gets the light fro my metal halids and VHO's when they are on. It does however set about 18 inches from the top of the water line towards the bottom of the tank.

While I do know that deep sand beds is a topic that many have issue, I have a six inch sand bed and I am in the process of going to eight inches. My sand bed is about ten years old now and full of snails and has three sand stars. I do not distrube the sand bed and let it ferment on its own. I do believe this is a reason that I have such good success with my corals and water chemistry.

I feed mine about an hour before lights out. they come out late afternoon early evening so I can enjoy them during lights on for a few hours.

Back