Super Glue Gel, removal from Acrylic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hazyeyedj

So I was gluing a shell with some GSP to the back wall of my tank and my daughter grabbed the tip of the super glue tube and got glue all over her hands which she proceeded to smear across one of the front corners of my 55-Hex. I cleaned here up first then attempted to clean as much off the tank as possible. Has anybody have any tricks from removal on an acrylic tank? I am assuming it is there for good but figured it wouldn't hurt to through it out there.

Thanks in advance

-Jason

Oooops! That kinda bites. I have never dealt with super glue on acrylic but I imagine it would be similar to too much or spilled weld-on. The super glue will most likely craze your tank as well :( . Wet sanding and buffing will remove the glue and restore the viewing area but the super glue may craze the area and make it look bad anyway. You can purchase the Pentair scratch removal kit and it comes with everything you will need (available at a lot of LFS's or online at Marine Depot ) - good luck.

There are superglue removers available in any craft store and many hardware stores. I have some, works very well albeit slowly. Very mild. Even takes it off ones fingers.

Thank you both, I think I'll try both options as I have 2 acrylic tanks and they are due to get scratched along the way with a 1 and 3 year old.

:)

Acetone(nail polish remover) is the thing that is used most for removing super glue. However I have never used it on acrylic. You might call Tap Plastic and see if they have any ideas.

tagging along. I have the same problem, but unfortunately no small kid to blame it on. I just have slippery fingers and dropped the glue. Please keep us posted on what you try and what works and what doesn't work. :) good luck to you my friend :D :D :D

he he, I did this a few weeks back with IC gel on Susies ol Cube. I was panicked for a few minutes. I went and got my buffer and used buffing compound and it came off. I think I was lucky. That was my solution.
I am not sure if it will work for others as well. It did work for me.

Back