Supreme MAG drive, Quick question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never had them rust on me and have used my fair share of magdrive pumps. Not sure if rust is a bad thing though as I have had someone tell me that rust is a good phosphate remover, but he may have been drunk when he told me that. :lol:. The good thing about it though is if it does rust, it won't happen over night so if you do start seeing signs of rust, then just replace the screws with new stainless ones which will buy you some more time, but I've personally never had a problem with them ever rusting. :)

Last edited:
No, they will not rust. I have a few older MAG 3 and 5 pumps (I don't use MAG pumps in my tank anymore, not dependable IMO). I still use a MAG 3 in my mixing container down in the basement but the last two MAG pumps I had stopped working after 6 months. First one I had lasted for nearly 5 years. Just waiting for the MAG 3 to go bad, it's clickin' and poppin' so it won't be much longer.

I've been running a Mag 18, continuously, for over 2 years. I just looked at the screws, and see no signs of corrosion, at all. In the past, I ran a smaller Mag, for 4 years. When I broke down that tank, the screws were shiny as new. Other than creating heat, Mag pumps are bullet proof!!

thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. I have a mag 9.5 i wanted to use for me return, wasn't sure if i should just get a diff pump. I would like to use it as an external, but am to scared to drill the sump

thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. I have a mag 9.5 i wanted to use for me return, wasn't sure if i should just get a diff pump. I would like to use it as an external, but am to scared to drill the sump

I used a mag 9.5 on my 75 gal after switching from a mag 7 and also, used it on my 38 gal. They do produce a bit of heat sometimes so keep that in mind, but other than that they are really good pumps especially for the price! :)

Yeah, I like the pumps. I used one for 11 years straight (fresh water), non stop, except for two moves and it wasn't shut down for more than a day. It was used as an external, I like the option of external or submersable. I think I have an idea to use it as an "external" without drilling my sump. I am going to mount a plastic container in the sump with a bulk head in it. That way the pump isn't in the water and it's inside the glass box. We'll see.

Yeah, I like the pumps. I used one for 11 years straight (fresh water), non stop, except for two moves and it wasn't shut down for more than a day. It was used as an external, I like the option of external or submersable. I think I have an idea to use it as an "external" without drilling my sump. I am going to mount a plastic container in the sump with a bulk head in it. That way the pump isn't in the water and it's inside the glass box. We'll see.

Is this in an attempt at trying to prevent it from heating the water?

Yes, I will rather not add any extra heat. It is always cheaper to heat than to cool, in any app.

Definately! Hopefully it works because you now you won't have the water on the outside of the pump passing over it to cool it some so the pump will probably get a bit warmer so the water passing through it will heat up as well. Same problem I had with 2 Quiet One pumps I used for a closed loop that sat externally on my 38 gal. The chiller that was used on my 75 gal, I used on the 38 gal and on the smaller tank, the chiller ran alot more because of the closed loop pumps (that sat externally). They heat up the water ALOT so be careful...Sitting outside of the water doesn't necessarily mean less heat. :)

I didn't think that much water ran "through" the pump, more along side of it. I also figured if the pump seemed to get hot I would set up a cooling fan. I ran the one 9.5 externaly, and every so often I would feel it for heat. It never seemed to be that hot, just a little warm, even during summer. But if there is a heat problem with the pump I plan to use a cooling fan.

I was also going to mount the pump with the coils on top, so the water is running under the heat. Drawing water from the bottom, and the return on the coming out of the side. Hopeing for less heat transfer with this configuration.

Isn't it great how no matter how much you plan, there always seems to be changes and set backs! LOL.

Lol! No kidding:p. It's crazy. Try it out though. You may be surprised! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing that came to mind as well is maybe put a small fan on the pump to cool it. Should help some. :)

Back