surface skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mvit

Has anyone tried hooking this up to an Aqua C remora hangon skimmer?
I have the max-jet 1200 pump and skimmer box but it just does not seem to skim enough off of the surface........

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~surface%20skimmer~action~view~idProduct~OE1138~idCategory~FIFRFASE~category~Tom_Aquatics_Aquarium_Surface_Skimmer_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filters_Accessories_Surface_Extractors~vendor~.html

It does not look hard to hook up but I see many people say it can suck air if not adjusted right.
It would take up less real estate in the tank too.
I would value your input.

Thanks

Just for anyone who is watching this surface skimmer attachment works very well!!
It was a snap to hook up to the max jet.
I took off the prefilter box so now there is some microbubbling going on.
This attachment skims the heck of the surface which my remoras box would not do until my water levl dropped to the point of almost starving the pump (and irritating the crap out of me)
It also sucks at 2 levels' surface and about midtank and is adjustable.If the water level drops
it automatically compensates.
If anyones interested I can try to post pics.

Has anyone tried hooking this up to an Aqua C remora hangon skimmer?

I've got the remora with a Mag3, and use that surface skimmer. Here's a writeup on it, with pics...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=100911

I'm sure doing the same thing with the Maxijet would work, you'll just have to find the appropriate sized fittings.

The setup works great and doesn't take up half the tank like the optional AquaC box does. I can't say I've noticed any difference in the skimmate... maybe a little more... but the surface of the water is pristine.

mmkeeper: Not much different for quantity or color.

Kurt: Nice job on the hookup! I'll have to fiddle with finding some ridgid elbows. The maxijet does not have threads but I'm sure somethig will work cuz the suction cups probably wont last. Oh yes the surface stays clear and I notice more light getting lower into the tank too.

Back