SW Newbie here

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gryphon

I hate doing intro posts, I never know what to say :popcorn:

Anyways, I'm a newbie to SW as the title says, I've always wanted to try my hand at it but could never work up the nerve until lately! I live in Federal Way, I don't have a tank set up yet but I'm working towards two (one temporary). I've been keeping FW fish for years, and I've bene on Wafishbox for quite a while talking there. My ultimate goal is my 40Breeder set up with some Zoas and palys, a couple LPS (frogspawn, duncan, torch, plate) and some softies (xenia, Colt or Kenya)

I managed to get a good deal (I think...) on a 40B tank, stand, skimmer, an old coralife PC light, and some rock. I'm in the gradual process of gathering everything I want to have for this tank. I took advantage of the last $1/gal sale at Petco and picked up a 20L for the sump, I have the overflow box, bulkheads and drill bit, just need to get my new stand built before I go working on the plumbing. I'm ditching the light and might ditch the skimmer for a new ones (its an old seaclone). I'm currently planning on getting the LED Photon 24 ( reefbreeders for those that are curious about it) from from Reef Breeders for the lighting, I'm watching CL and ebay for a good Reef Octopus or Bubble Magus skimmer. I've also picked up 2 Maxi-jet 400 (500gph circulation mode) for in tank circulation, and a sicce 4.0 syncra silent 951gph pump for my return from sump.

I'm trying really hard not to rush things for this and start off half-cocked with bad equipment. To help me keep my ambition under control I've decided to start a small 10gal setup that'll be just a couple corals an some inverts to help keep my impulsiveness under a wee bit of control. For this I'm planning on doing a AC HoB refugium mod I read about on reef central for some chaeto and a few small rubble pieces. I'm also looking at either a 36W T5HO or 36W PC light for the main lighting (The PC one is currently out of stock on BRS so if they don't come in soon I'll go with the T5 HO).

Welcome to RF,
It seams you are on the right track. Your equipment list looks good.
IMO, on your 10 gal. starter, just run chemi-pure in the basket, and keep up with the water changes. That small of fuge will not have much of an effect on the system.
Also consider buying a RO/DI filter system for all your reef needs.

Get that post count up and post some pics.

I'm working on it ^_^ I'm actually heading over to the Key Peninsula Friday to buy a used RO/DI unit. I'll have to hunt down a TDS Meter to borrow and see what condition the filters and membrane are in, and if they're bad I'll order replacements.

T5HO it is then. The only reason I was giving the PC fixture a chance was the price was lower. Alrighty, I'll be ordering this Friday.

I'll be interested to hear your experience with the Sicce return pump. I'm in the market for a new pump since my Mag 7 is sounding like it's tumbling rocks.

And welcome to RF!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'll be putting up a post following the 40B build once I get started on it. I got my sicce used off ebay. First thing I did was set it up in a bucket in the bathroom, and got in trouble cause my wife walked in just as I plugged it in and created a mini-geyser in our bath tub LOL

you are going to need a light that runs the length of the tank..

maybe stop and think about led's a little more up front cost but not having to buy replacement bulbs every 8 months or so will save money long run and prices sure have come down alot.

do some reading on different lights. and do what you can afford.. cause it really dont matter what we all say and recommend if you can't afford it. I have been building my tank and lots of great advise has come my way. but some of it I could not afford to do. So start a build thread so people can help you. take some quick pics and post them up.
and many people have and still run t5 and do great stuff so there is not always a wrong vers right way.

but hey I am kinda new as well.. so good luck man...

This should be good right? Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

Nova Extreme SLR 18" 36W T5HO 2 Bulb 1x 18W 10,000K White, 1x 18W 460nm Actinic.
If you're going that route, you'll want the 36" model for a 40b. You want full coverage.

You might talk to OBD or Barrier to see if you can slip into an LED for not much more money. With the T5s are you looking at ~$100/year in bulb replacements (for decent bulbs). So in the long run, the LEDs might be less expensive.

Well the T5HO I linked is for the 10g set up, which once I get the 40B up and running will most likely turn into a QT tank. If I'm still using the light after 8 months something went horribly wrong with my 40B build XD

Now when it comes to the 40B I am definitely planning on going the LED route. I'm actually comparing two LED fixtures right now for it.

Well the T5HO I linked is for the 10g set up, which once I get the 40B up and running will most likely turn into a QT tank. If I'm still using the light after 8 months something went horribly wrong with my 40B build XD

Now when it comes to the 40B I am definitely planning on going the LED route. I'm actually comparing two LED fixtures right now for it.

Ah...that's what I get for posting while on cold medicine. :)

Very nice and Welcome:yo:
T5 or leds Always and I too started of on the Wafishbox. Your doing it right, take your time plan it out there are several skilled and knowledgeable folks here so ask away you'll get what you need. Looking for a some photos once you get started.

Hey! Another BIG WELCOME to Reef Frontiers, sounds like your off to a great start. Take your time and everything works out so much better.

Cheers, Todd

Knowledge is what has held me back from going SW for so long. I always wanted to try it, and finally took the plunge about 2 months ago and started researching. I've visited who knows how many forums and sites, compared different set ups and thoughts on how things should be. I've schemed, planned, backtracked, drawn plans, redrawn said plans countless times. I've settled into planning a Herbie style overflow/stand pipes and my sump will be skimmer > return < refugium.

I'll be putting up a post following the 40B build once I get started on it. I got my sicce used off ebay. First thing I did was set it up in a bucket in the bathroom, and got in trouble cause my wife walked in just as I plugged it in and created a mini-geyser in our bath tub LOL

You should have a sock or a tie on the door knob while you were in there.

Owww just found where I skinned my knuckle (didn't know I had) while wrist deep in vinegar cleaning out my 10gal tank

Back