swc skimmer pump replacement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
I have a SWC skimmer on my 21o and it doesn't seem to be skimming as well as it did a few years ago. So i'm thinking the pump is dieing maybe. before I buy a pump I was wondering if there was a better or more powerful pump I could replace the current Sicce PSK-2500 pump with. also I saw a site that was selling a red devil small and large needle wheel. is a actual upgraded wheel or is the stock one just as good?

look into one of those laguna askolls. one pump replaces two sicces. they seem to last longer as well

I did consider the askol pump, but the $300+ price tag was hard to take.
Plus I had one person say it would be good match, and one say it wasn't a good match for replacing 2 PSK 2500's

I have not tried these yet.

It says it comes with a stock pin wheel. The others may just fit as well.

I was reading a review on the 1000 and a guy said the 1000 isn't a direct replacement for the 2500. said it was a pain to get it to work as a replacement. Is he just "unique" or is it different?

I did consider the askol pump, but the $300+ price tag was hard to take.
Plus I had one person say it would be good match, and one say it wasn't a good match for replacing 2 PSK 2500's

I broke down and bought one for mine a couple years ago I got sick of replacing those crappy sicces. It has been rockin ever since. zero startup issues. the price tag is a bit much, it is a pretty large pump though

I was reading a review on the 1000 and a guy said the 1000 isn't a direct replacement for the 2500. said it was a pain to get it to work as a replacement. Is he just "unique" or is it different?

In the link, it says the pump comes with a "output adapter". So I'm assuming that is what helps.
If I decide to pull the trigger myself ( got another idea also) on these pumps, I would call Avast Marine and talk with someone there.
On my Bubble Master, the thing that connects the pump to the skimmer body is just a cheap piece of flexable plastic tubing.

I broke down and bought one for mine a couple years ago I got sick of replacing those crappy sicces. It has been rockin ever since. zero startup issues. the price tag is a bit much, it is a pretty large pump though

What skimmer do you have?
Mine is a Bubble Master 250.

its the msx 250. I put it in my new tank just now to see and it is in 8-10 inches of water. The gate is wide open and I'm about an inch from the reducer. plenty of room for adjustment

I have a SWC skimmer on my 21o and it doesn't seem to be skimming as well as it did a few years ago. So i'm thinking the pump is dieing maybe. before I buy a pump I was wondering if there was a better or more powerful pump I could replace the current Sicce PSK-2500 pump with. also I saw a site that was selling a red devil small and large needle wheel. is a actual upgraded wheel or is the stock one just as good?

you should consider one of these pumps:
Diablo DC 3500s Skimmer Pump - AquaCave.com
controllable DC pump for your skimmer, IMO the next best thing to an askoll/laguna pump,
and $179

Skimmy, which would be the best option to replace the pump on a SWC MiniS Cone?

sicce psk 1000,
bubble blaster 3000,
Diablo DC 3500s

those would all be good. but none are a straight across replacement with a correct outlet size, so you may have to tinker some with plumbing or a dremel.
otherwise, you can still run a sicce psk 2500 with a red demon pinwheel and get pretty consistant start up and performance.

Last edited:
I was doing some price searching on the diablos and noticed a few places sale like 3 or 4 different size adapters, so they will fit just about any skimmer!! I think im getting one

Nice! Very good upgrade. U get more foam head and smaller more bubbles? Is it quieter? Thxs
D

turns out they sent me the 2000 model instead of the 3000 model. but yeah its super quiet and the tons of little bubbles. i was concerned at first because i had to have the outlet almost closed to get the foam level up the the neck. Thats when i started looking and realized they sent the wrong pump

turns out they sent me the 2000 model instead of the 3000 model. but yeah its super quiet and the tons of little bubbles. i was concerned at first because i had to have the outlet almost closed to get the foam level up the the neck. Thats when i started looking and realized they sent the wrong pump

Are you going to be able to get the correct pump?

Back