SWC vs Reef Octopus Extreme skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ac7av

Bring on the FISH!
I can’t decide on a SWC Xtreme 200 skimmer and the Reef Octopus Extreme 200.

Is there a difference worth noting. Price, size, pump, all are so similar that one would almost think they are the same with a different name on them. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on both skimmers that could comment about the quality or operation? Any information would be useful.

check for stages ....

dont go for pump speed

check for fuge collection

check for ballast

slower the skimmer faster the fuge collection

i heard octopuses needs minimum 3 stage skimming

i must enduce you buy prizm skimmer for your tank worth 90 dollors in market

best !

I have the SWC 250 and I love it
They are well built and if you can afford it get the SWC200A with the ASKOOL pump.

I can’t decide on a SWC Xtreme 200 skimmer and the Reef Octopus Extreme 200.

Is there a difference worth noting. Price, size, pump, all are so similar that one would almost think they are the same with a different name on them. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on both skimmers that could comment about the quality or operation? Any information would be useful.

yes.

1. octopus couldnt successfully mod a sicce psk2500 if their life depended on it.
2. they ripped off the design from SWC.
3. their CS is infamous for being poor.

= buy the SWC version.

I got confused at first too. Sounded like code or something. Skimerwhisperer what do you mean about modding the sicce? Is it not the same pump? I don’t know what CS stands for.
Thanks

Mytemouse I would love to get that 250 but its just over my price range and I did read that they have the new versions with that askool pump but you know still same problem but I figure since they have been using it for some time it couldn’t be all that bad.

So it sounds like Skimmerwhisperer is giving it a thumbs down for the other skimmer. I just wanted to make sure. I actually put the order in for the swc 200 and the company sent me a message saying that did not have it in stock at the moment and wanted to sell me this other one that is almost exactly the same for the same price. I think I am going to till them to refund my money and just find one some ware.

Only one of these repsonses makes ANY sense. You should be able to tell.
Yeah, I sat there with my mouth hanging open for a moment. But I don't speak any Indian dialect, so I can't talk.
My two cents-
whatever you get, get one with the Askoll pump or the ReefOctopus variant; it is light years ahead of the Sicce pumps in performance. I upgraded my skimmer from two Sicces to one Laguna Askoll and the difference is immence! LA pulls more air and makes way less noise. If you mesh mod a Sicce, plan on buying a new pump within a matter of months. JMO
-Chris

Last edited:
I thought the SWC comes with ether impeller already made? No need to mod it from what I understand. I know it’s a much better pump but I think that the price is Ill check again but wasn’t it like $200 more?

Ok
I just sent an email to the company I ordered it threw and told them to just give a refund if they cant have one in stock in a week.

I also looked into the other pump model. SWC doesn’t show it on there website as available you so I must have just been comparing the price to the 250a

Get the 250A if you can. It is worth the extra money. I have a older model from CNC with the Askoll pump and that thing is dead silent, produces very little to no heat and does not have any start up issues what so ever and pulls some smelly gunk out like a champ. I borrowed a cone skimmer with 2 sicce pumps from a friend a while ago and I have to say those pumps need a little help to get it started. It was rather annoying to have to do that to start the pump almost everytime you turn it off. IMHO it is money well spent getting a skimmer with the askoll/Laguna pump. You won't regret it.:)

Ok
I will see if I can pull it together enough to get the 250a. I need to really see if I have the footprint room for it. Getting my fat head into the sump in the stand enough to measure is the hard part.

I just checked the height is the problem with the 250 model. I don’t have 25 inches I have only 24 inches. Darn! IT!
In the future is it possible to mod the standard 200 with one of the new pumps or is it not worth the trouble?

the 200 a would be big enough the 250 a is a little over kill for your set up..
(this is what I ment in my first post sorry for the confusion ) :)
you've made the right choice going with SWC (MSX)

I just checked the height is the problem with the 250 model. I don’t have 25 inches I have only 24 inches. Darn! IT!
In the future is it possible to mod the standard 200 with one of the new pumps or is it not worth the trouble?

The askol mod IS worth the effort.

MY CNC is the same body and neck size as the 200 I believe and I have the A1500 on it. Granted I have to run teh skimmer in no more than 6'' of water and the valve almost fully open. So i think it is possible. Try to PM Luke he will guide you in the right directions. I got my skimmer from him. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/...B845132229428E74AC0.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=2

an askoll 1500 on a SWC/MSX extreme 200 is too much pump.

there is nothing wrong with sicce psk2500 pumps...
it DOES matter who mods the pump, believe me.
mesh modding a sicce wont kill it in a few months if it's done properly.:idea:
also, if you get the WM red demon pinwheel for it, it will pull almost as much air as a meshwheel and no start-up issues like the ATB purple pinwheel.

the main company:
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

red demon pinwheel:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WM-RPW&Category_Code=

sicce pumps are tricky to mod properly, but not impossible, look at ATB,WM, and SWC, excellent mods of the sicce.

and yes, luke at reeffiltration.com will hook you up with excellent CS, and he is here in the states.

Last edited:
Back