swiching to a fo tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

guedo1997

I am swiching from a freshwater to Fish Only saltwater tank can i use the water in my tank or do i need to swich the water out. also can i use the crushed coral from the freshwater in my saltwater. thanks for looking

just a suggestion, but i would not use tap water if that is what you have been using...you will never get rid of algae problems if you do....use R/O water or RO/DI water...also, if you have never mixed saltwater before, put all the water that you will be mixing in the container and then add salt...if you put your salt in and then add water, it will cause the calcium to precipitate.....any question, just ask for help...someone will be able to help

if you have cleaned the tank out,yes!!! it will be much easier this way...fill it with water and then add salt....also,some livesand will help with the cycling process if you aren't putting any liverock in the tank:)...also, i don't want the salt police after me, but instant ocean or instant ocean reef crystals are a very good choice...people have had some problems with some other salts out there

You can start by adding salt to the new water in the tank the first time. After that with water changes you need to mix it and let it age several hours or over night with circulation and airation.

glad you added that..like mmkeeper said, after your tank is running, mix up any additional water in a seperate container.. never add salt directly to the tank, besides now when you are initially setting the tank up....also, you will need to check your salinity every day or so...the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind, which will raise the salinity...you will need to add fw to the tank daily or every other day, depending on how much evaporation it has....also, it is hard on the fish's gills if you don't let the salt mix for at least 24 hours:)

Back