Switch from CF to T5. How would softies handle the change in light?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's about time to buy new CF bulbs for my tank and I started looking at threads and noticing all the great feedback about T5 lights. I've currently got a pretty good softies tank going (yumas, zoas, mushrooms, leathers, pom-poms etc.) so I'm curious if switching to a T5 retro system would fry my corals, or is it simply a question of acclimating them slowly. I've always wanted to have SPS and LPS in my tank but my hood is too shallow for MH bulbs.

Hopefully I'm asking the right questions but please let me know if I'm completely overlooking something obvious.

Thanks, Sculp

If you upgrade to T5's then the most important thing to do is to use individual reflectors for each lamp. I don't know the size of your tank or hood but cram in as much as you can if you go that route.
Yes acclimation would be necessary it you upgraded, so you could use some egg crate like what is used for office lighting, you find that in the fluorescent lamp area at your local hardware. Other ways would be using some sort of screens or lowering the corals to deeper waters etc.

Scooty, you so quick, I switched from PC to MH and I started with 3 hours a day and worked my way up to 8 hours over a two week period.
Nothing bleached and the corals now grow like weeds!

Sculpin, depending on the depth of your tank and how many T5 bulbs you have over your tank, with T5HO and individual reflectors, you'll be able to grow anything you want. Wait, let me back up...you'll have the lighting to grow anything you want. You may have to put the most high light demanding SPS or T. maximas up high.

I currently have a 6 bulb T5HO fixture over my 75 and I have 2 T. croceas half way up my tank, a T. maxima about 12" below the top of tank, Acros down as low as 2/3s down and a Purple Sebae down on the bottom. All are doing awesome!! My lights are about 5-6" above the water.

Back