T-5's for SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I'm reducing my 125g to a 40g bdr. Since its a smaller tank I want to go with T-5 to avoid heat. What would be the best option. Would 4x39w retro with a icecap 660 ballast give me enough light to keep sps towards the bottom. Or 6x39w retro with a universal ballsts. I'm willing to spend a good chunk, but nothing exorbitant. If there's something better tell me.

I'm wondering more about the ballasts really. Is the icecap that much better than universal.

Alledgedly, the Icecap overdrives the bulbs, producing more PAR, yet doesnt decrease bulb life.

Nick

I had a new idea for lighting. What if I went with 2 70wt MH with 2 T-5 supplements. Which is my better choice.

With T-5 you don't get shadows for one, not bright spots and not so bright spots, not nearly as much waste heat, and the bulbs aren't nearly as expensive... you won't burn your the back of your hands or your arm on a T-5 fixture if you yank your hand out of your tank real quick. you have more options with colours, b/c you can make some bulbs 50/50 some actinic, and some daylight.
just my .02
Stephen

I have plans on upgrading to a 75g and the T-5's don't give me a lot of flexibility to do that. I'm gonna go with 2x175w MH and 2x39w T-5 supplement. Does this sound good. I'm gonna have the lights pretty far off the water, since I want a big canopy and to avoid heat. I'm thinking 12"-14" is good.

So what are your wanting here, lights for a 40g breeder or the 75g?
Most importantly, water depth & what do you want to keep?

I want lights for the 40g. I want to be able to keep anything anywhere in the tank. The tank is 16" tall.

Originally Posted by [B said:
greenmonkey51][/B]
I had a new idea for lighting. What if I went with 2 70wt MH with 2 T-5 supplements. Which is my better choice.

I used a pair of 70 watt mh light fixtures on my 20L.
I used several different bulbs and was never really happy with them. Just too dim.

If you are not going with a higher watt mh, go with the best T-5 and reflector combo you can afford.

Ya I did decide to go with 175w's. I just want to be sure I can get enough light. I don't want any question of where to put stuff.

Who has the best ballast. Is Icecap the top, I'll look around, but if I go new I'm getting the best. I'm a little undecided on flow. I have 2 Koralia 4's but I think it maybe a little much. I'm thinking of trading down for 2's. Then getting 2 maxijets 1200's and putting them on a wavemaker. I'm also going to put a SWCD on the return to randomize it a bit.

Last edited:
I'd keep the 4's for flow, just point them opposite of each other, I have a 2 & three in my tiny tank & it isn't too much!

What about adding the maxijets for randomization. I'm going bare bottom. So I guess it doesn't really matter.

I know but thats ok, since the flow is a little much for the tank size. How much do they reduce though. Its a mag 7

I know but thats ok, since the flow is a little much for the tank size. How much do they reduce though. Its a mag 7

Your thinking that a Mag7 is too much for a 40g?
Now way, not even close, I'm pushing 1,800gph in my 30g tank, think about ocean currents & how much water they move in one spot.

The mag 7 is just the return. I plan on most of the flow coming from powerheads. I don't like a lot of flow going through the sump.

Also whats a couple good 14k 175w SE bulbs. I've seen a lot of people touting phoenix, but I can't find them in SE.

Back