T5 fixture halfway fell into tank (while unplugged)!! Any tips to save it??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jennwest

I was changing a bulb while it was unplugged and the stupid leg thing wasn't pushed in all the way so half the fixture went into the tank. Nothing got fully submerged but it definitely went pretty far into the water. I took out all the bulbs and unscrewed the reflector and dried everything. The wires or boxes don't seem wet at all but I can't be sure. I have it propped on top of a fan that is blowing up into it.
Is there any hope for it? It wasn't plugged in but it still seems pretty bad. How long do I need to wait to test it? I don't have any other light for my tank while it drys :(

Rinse it in FW, dry it near a heat source for a couple days and hope for the best. After rinsing it you might also put it in rice like people do with their cell phones to save them.

haha the old rice trick. I'd let it set out in a heated place for atleast a day. two days should be plenty.

2-3 days is no problem. Corals deal with storms that block out the light all the time.

In case anyone is wondering, it survived! I was impatient and couldn't wait any longer. I took it apart even more to clean it and noticed that nothing seemed to have gotten any water on it. Everything was pretty much bone dry and dusty. So I took a chance and turned it on and everything is fine! I guess I caught it before too much water got in! I think the angle it was at helped a lot- it was the opposite side of where all the wires are.
So happy its okay! I ordered a new dock mount thing right away haha

haha nice! i've dropped my 4 bulb 48 inch fixture part way in the water before too.

glad there was no damage done

Back