T5 HO help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zerc

I am working on setting up my 75 gallon to replace my 36 bow. I currently have a coralive T5 HO lunar fixture on my bowfront. I would like to purchase a similar light setup if it will be sufficient for my 75.

Current coral:
yellow plate montipora
frogspawn
eagle eye zoa
green button palys
chili coral
RBTA

planned additional coral:
X factor sapphire monti
dendro fistula
Branching hammer (maybe)
torch coral
blue pulsing xenia

I would like to get an 8 lamp T5 HO fixture with some lunar LEDs. Does anyone have any recommendations? with 8 lamps be enough light?
(money is a factor here, I will be selling my 36 bow with light and possibly my 35 gallon freshwater planted tank, also with T5 HO lighting in order to purchase this light)

A 6 bulb Sunlight Supply Tek5 will fit perfectly over a 75 and allow you to grow anything you want. I ran a 75, with this fixture, for years, grow SPS on the bottom of the tank and keeping clams and anemones happy with plenty of light. However, this won't have LEDs.

When shopping for T5 fixtures, it's critical that they have ICR reflectors and Advanced Electronic Ballasts. If you have those two features, along with quality bulbs, 6 bulbs will allow you to grow anything you want in a 75.

LEDs would be nice, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. If 6 lamps is enough that is good news! I found a few 8 lamp fixtures and for those prices I could do an LED fixture :(

+1 u could prob do an led fixture for that much...
look around. I agree a 6 bulb would be okay with a tek fixture.

So I went to MarineDepot to price a 6 lamp fixture from aquaticlife
AquaticLife T5 HO 6-Lamp Light Fixture w/ Lunar LEDseemed to be roughly what i expected, but I thought I should check the 8 lamp to see how much money I am saving...

AquaticLife 8-Lamp T5 HO Light Fixturehy is the 8 lamp 10 dollars cheaper? o_O

This seems like a good brand, but maybe it isnt.

How does it compare to the sunlight tek5?

Will 8 lamps be too much light?

8 bulbs isn't too much light, but it will be wider then you tank :p

I will second (or third) the tek lights. They are well built here in the USA. Vancouver WA in fact. The thing to look at in T-5 is the reflectors. A quality reflector will at least triple the light penitration in your tank. Each bulb should have its own reflector.

LED's are the wave of the future. I am just waiting for others to figure out the best spectrums and for the prices to come down LOL

Edit

A 6 bulb tek light is $200 cheaper then the one you linked :)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight...Sunlight_Supply_Inc-SL2111-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

And I always buy fixtures without bulbs. The included bulbs are usually very cheap and you can't pick your bulb combo.

Last edited:
I agree with making your own bulb combo. The ati powermodule 48'' 6 bulb light runs in between those two prices and is also a quality t5 light. In my opinion you will save money in the long run building a 48'' x72 3w led fixture. This will last around 50'000 hrs and with proper install no yearly bulb replacement.

8 bulbs isn't too much light, but it will be wider then you tank :p

I will second (or third) the tek lights. They are well built here in the USA. Vancouver WA in fact. The thing to look at in T-5 is the reflectors. A quality reflector will at least triple the light penitration in your tank. Each bulb should have its own reflector.

LED's are the wave of the future. I am just waiting for others to figure out the best spectrums and for the prices to come down LOL

Edit

A 6 bulb tek light is $200 cheaper then the one you linked :)

Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixtures

And I always buy fixtures without bulbs. The included bulbs are usually very cheap and you can't pick your bulb combo.

Actually, when ordering through Reefgeek or from several of our Sponsors, you can order pick your own bulb combo. I'd suggest a 50/50 mix of ATI Aquablue Special/Aquablue Plus.

The Sunlight Supply Tek5 fixture or Tek5 Elite will both be better than the Aquaticlife fixture, and less expensive.

AquaticLife!! I've been running their 4x24w T5HO + 4 Lunar LED's unit for almost 2yrs. Awesome fixture! Digital timer, 1 cord, individual German made reflectors, 0 fans = 0 noise. Comes with leg mounts or you can hang em :) Wonderful customer service. Great prices too!

Last edited:
AquaticLife!! I've been running their 4x24w T5HO + 4 Lunar LED's unit for almost 2yrs. Awesome fixture! Digital timer, 1 cord, individual German made reflectors, 0 fans = 0 noise. Comes with leg mounts or you can hang em :) Wonderful customer service. Great prices too!

I'll second the AquatifLife T5 HO fixtures. The build quality for the one I got is superb, the design is very convenient (integrated timers, single cord) and for what I intend to keep it produces more than enough light.

Yay! I emailed their customer service and they found me one! :)

It should be here in less than 2 weeks!

Fixture is set up! Tank is running with some dead rock in it, adding some salt tomorrow to start the cycle. Now I need to find some bulbs for this thing!
I was looking at purchasing all ATI bulbs, they are a lot more cost effective I think.

FRONT
True Actinic
Aquablue Special
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Aquablue Special
True Actinic
BACK

Thoughts?

I hope so, I will probably buy 3 bulbs to start and then one at a time until I finish, that way if it gets too much of one color or another I can adjust with the next bulb.

I personally have the one white. Two actinic. And one purple on my fixture.
I think if I had a 6 bulb I'd do the same tho. 2 white. Maybe 2 actinic and one different blue and one purple.

Back