T5 lights fire momentarily, then stop - cause?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hi gang,

I'm trouble shooting my new T5's. I have 3 ballasts driving 2 bulbs a piece. I have succesfully configured 4 out of the 6, however I'm having some difficulty with the last two. The last two bulbs are hooked up to the same ballast. what happens is that they start to turn on and are on for about 1-3 seconds, then shut off. What do you think is the cause?

I've checked the connections on the end caps and all looks good
I've checked the connections on the ballast and all looks good

The wiring runs through the inside of this lighting rack I built and I'm worried I might have rubbed a wire or two raw exposing the bare wire on the rough corners when pulling it through the inside of the rack. Does this sound like the correct symptoms for something like that?

Any ideas appreciated.
Ben

If this is something I can diagnose with a multimeter, I'd appreciate instructions on how to measure and what settings to use.

Indeed. There are a few bad bulbs in the batch i got, but I've been switching out with one's I know work. It's a momentary fire, followed by darkness 1-3 seconds later. Maybe I'll try switching out the ballasts.

Ben

Indeed. There are a few bad bulbs in the batch i got, but I've been switching out with one's I know work. It's a momentary fire, followed by darkness 1-3 seconds later. Maybe I'll try switching out the ballasts.

Ben

That would be my next step. I would think that if you cut a wire the you would of heard a loud pop and then tripped the breaker.:)

Don

Fire got my attention! LOL. I just had a bad run in with a ballast also and it was the same thing your going through. So i think it may be a bad ballast. Mine is by Hamilton.

found the cause ---

1 bad ballast
2 two bad wires that were stripped and grounded on the frame somehow
2 bad bulbs

How's that for a freaking day of work...... what a nightmare it took to figure that out, but thank you all for your help. :rolleyes:;):badgrin::confused::lol::D:cool::)

Glad you found the problem Ben.

1 bad ballast and 2 bad bulbs? So out of 3 ballast and 6 bulbs that's a poor good to bad ratio.

Ben,

What type of T5s are you using.? I am considering getting some (T5 Tek-Sunlight Supply) down the road for my tank.

Kirk

Glad you found the problem Ben.

1 bad ballast and 2 bad bulbs? So out of 3 ballast and 6 bulbs that's a poor good to bad ratio.

tell me about it. And this is the second set of bulbs they sent me. The first one's came in shipped poorly and all but 2 were cracked (arghh). Hopefully that means I have some good Karma coming my way :oops:

Kirk - these are indeed the Tek5 T5 lighting. Tek5 just switched their ballasts to advantage in the last couple months as I understand it. They are retro kits - When you can get 'em working, they rock. But getting them working is another thing - I've spent a couple days just tinkering trying to figure out where my problems lie. I probably just got a bad batch, so don't want to steer you away from this product. I'm sure the vendor will take care of me so I'm not too worried about it.

One tip though --- buy your bulbs locally. As I've learned, these things are just too darn fragile...

Ben

Ben,

If you don't mind, I would like to stop by your house and see your T5s setup. (ohhh, and your fish tank too of course !!) :D

Thanks
Kirk

Ben,

If you don't mind, I would like to stop by your house and see your T5s setup. (ohhh, and your fish tank too of course !!) :D

Thanks
Kirk

Not a problem. Just PM me when ready. It'll probably be a week or so before I get the new ballast & bulbs, but you're welcome to see the others just to get an idea.

Ben

Back