T5 or metal halide

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jasonseaman

so ive always done just the power compact light but i wana get more into the hard coral. i have a 75 gallon tank so should i go with a t5 or mh? please help me out here...

Is it a standard 75 gallon tank? If so I would go with a tek fixture, T-5. I believe it is a 6 bulb that fits pretty well over it.

With that you should be able to keep just about any kind of coral you wish.

i have seen good results on those 75 gal tanks as well with t5 lights i think in large because there so shallow. Plus with those there's not to much temp issues

agreed with the T5..the big plus here is the T5 doesnt emit as much heat as MH does.

both will work the choice is yours lol as this will could be a battle I personally like MH lighting. will t5s work yes with sucess you won't get the water shimmer but you can use Leds with the t5s to get that shimmer.... t5s is a good choice with a good t5 system or retro fit system. that is one thing you really do not want to skimp on value wise. not saying go buy a 1000 dollar fixture but get quality and quality you will trust. and same goes for the bulbs also. good quality bulbs.

that is an interesting question. I have thought about going to metal halides because I want hard coral but I wasn't entirely sure if M / H were better than T-5 just based off the shimmer.

MH does offer much better "shimmer effect." The Shimmer does blast the corals with greatly intensified lighting, for split seconds. Shimmer effect is also dependent on disturbing the surface of the water. Shimmer effect is very minimal without "spot" lighting. It can be achieved with LED Spots as well.

One problem with MH lighting, is that the amount of light quickly falls off, at the edges. The lighting intensity, directly under the bulbs, is much higher than the intensity, as you move away from directly below the bulbs.

Well I am looking at getting a 125 and perhaps a new lighting for my 90 its just running vho's but I have been trying to figure out where you snag those fancy t-5 fixtures . Also It would be nice not to have to get a canopy or suspend the fixture after all.

I was told to check out marine depot but for some reason I don't see tek on there so I assume those fixtures aren't as powerful. I had tried t-5s with my 55 and they weren't very strong it was a little 2 bulb fixture from pets smart I wasn't impressed Ill tell you that. My coral wouldn't even respond to its output.

Back