T5 Or T6

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matthew1

Hello, My name is Matthew. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the real story behind the difference in T5 and T6. I have four tanks, three of the four use T5, but as of late my LFS is trying to sell me on T6. I have tried to find info on T6, but to no avail. The only info I did find that held any fact was the reflector 6 bend on the T5. Any info or experience would great. Thanks.

Matthew

Matt,

You might want to post a question to "The Grim Reefer" on RC. He is the guru when it comes to T5/T6 lighting.

Kirk

T6 been around a while also but not in the aquariums here anyways, it is just slightly larger Diameter & you won't find much support for them as in lamps or equipment, there really is no benefit over T5 if anything less beneficial.

Matt,

Sounds to me like your LFS has some T6 inventory they want to get rid of (errrr. I mean sell to you) :D:D:D

The nice thing about the T6 bulbs is that they should work on a standard t12/t8 ballast, so they should be good to retrofit as replacement bulbs in a t13/t8 application. Now I have not seen any tests to see if they actually do put out more PAR than a t12/t8 bulb. The T5HO's will put out more light than the T6s just for the fact that they are HO, and the T6's are NO. With T6's you should be able to come up with a good reflector, might even be able to use t5 reflectors to give you good light output even.

So if you are just looking for replacement bulbs for a NO t8/t12 application the T6 bulbs will work fine, I don't really know if they are better than the T12/T8 bulbs.

Kim

Kim

Back