Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The R/C Man

Here is the deal...

30" tall tank
4 x 400W MH 20K bulbs for the main lighting
The T5's = 192watts
The VHO's = 600watts
With the MH's I am thinking I am covered as far as PAR goes.
I am making the consideration based on the corals needs vs my wallet.
Now should I add 8, T5 bulbs or 8, VHO's to supplement?
If you all think the SPS will need the lighting I will suck up the power bill. If not I will go with the T5 strictly to balance out the 20k's.....

They usually say @ 30" you need all you can get, the 400's would do that IMO. If your going to supplement with anything I'd go T5's because they are smaller & will put out some power also. If you kept your sps 8" off the bottom then that may be another question. You most probably will have to deal with some heat also with 400's!

if your going to run icecap ballast then I would go with the t5's but if not I would go with the vho for the par ratings and better depth penetration

T-5's with decent reflectors are much more efficient than VHO's with those horrible internal reflectors.

I would suggest going with the T5 setup also, with individual reflectors on each bulb. You will get as much or more light into the tank, and have a lot more room to mount them and use less electricity. Plus you can run the UVlighting T5 superactinic bulb and have a similar color.

Kim

I agree the T5's are a much better solution for your reef tank...
that will be more economical in terms of electricity. i personally think saving electricity is very important because it really can add up to a significant sum annualy. and it's better for the environment ;)
Ritchie

Last edited:
Back