T5 under a canopy??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbusha

We're looking into switching from PCs to T5s but have an oak canopy on our 90 gallon reef tank. Need some advice on what exactly we can put under our canopy and how many bulbs etc. We think we may need a retrofit kit for under our canopy, but weren't sure if we could get away with a fixture instead. We need as much help as you can give us! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sunlight supply makes excellent t-5 hoods and retros. We have a 4 light hood over a 60 gal. It is in a 13" tall hallide canopy. The fixture is only about 2 1/2" thick. Check them out at www.reefgeek.com
HTH's, Scott&Colleen

I have my T5 hood mounted inside my canopy and it works great. I used hook and eye bolts to hang it. Added a fan to help with any heat issues and it's fine. Just make sure your hood has the clearance. My hood is the double front door style canopy.

Thanks. We're now looking into a T5 8x54 hood. From everything we're looking at, it seems to be the best fit for us... and price as well. Looked into the retro but we wouldn't have enough space for the amount of bulbs we want with the the way the hood opens. So I guess we'll probably go with the hood and have it sit across the top like our PCs do now.

Back