Talk about engineering!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefdaddy1

Reef Geek Jedi
waterbridge.jpg

Even after you see it, it is still hard to believe !
WaterBridge in Germany .... What a feat!
Six years, 500 million euros, 918 meters long.......now this is engineering!
This is a channel-bridge over the River Elbe and joins the former East and West Germany,
as part of the unification project. It is located in the city of Magdeburg, near Berlin.
The photo was taken on the day of inauguration.
To those who appreciate engineering projects, here's a puzzle for you armchair engineers and physicists.
Did that bridge have to be
designed to withstand the additional weight of ship and barge tr affic, or just the weight of the water?

Answer:
It only needs to be designed to withstand the weight of the water!
Why? A ship always displaces an amount of water that weighs the same as the ship,
regardless of how heavily a ship may be loaded.

Last edited:
Did that bridge have to be [/COLOR][/FONT]
designed to withstand the additional weight of ship and barge tr affic, or just the weight of the water?

Answer:
It only needs to be designed to withstand the weight of the water!
Why? A ship always displaces an amount of water that weighs the same as the ship,
regardless of how heavily a ship may be loaded.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

But the water and the ships are still on the bridge, it is true the water is displaced but it is not taken out of the bridge. All that happened was the water level rose. Unlike someone getting in a full bathtub, the water will spill over the edge, I do not see any water spilling over on the bridge. I wonder what the red line on the side of the wall indicates?

Last edited:
But the water and the ships are still on the bridge, it is true the water is displaced but it is not taken out of the bridge. All that happened was the water level rose. Unlike someone getting in a full bathtub, the water will spill over the edge, I do not see any water spilling over on the bridge. I wonder what the red line on the side of the wall indicates?

It connects to 2 separate rivers, connecting former East Germany and West. So water displacement will go forward to the rivers. That way no rise in the water level.

So water displacement will go forward to the rivers. That way no rise in the water level.

Yeah Bob, I agree.

But you say that like the boat's weight is anything compared to the weight of the water! We of all people should appreciate the weight of water. 8.5lbs/gal times a blue-billion-gallons is orders of magnitude larger than the 10 tons the boats may weigh. :eek:

Leave it to the germans! :lol:

Back