Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baplemark

Just a quick question,

I want to finish my 60 gallon tank off with a tang.So far i've got:

-1 lemonpeel dwarf angelfish.
-2 common clowns
-2 yellow gobies
-2 banggai cardinal fish
-Cleanup crew (4 Turbo snails and 1 hermit crab)

Can anyone recommend any tangs that would be suitable. I'm staying away from the powder blue's!

Tank:
60 gallon juwell tank
Red sea protein skimmer
X2 Maxi jets (1300 and 250 litres/hour)
Fluval external cannister filter (1200 litres/hour) with UV filter attached.
Juwell 1000 litre/hour internal box filter.

Thanks!

Mark

I agree with mike, but would llike to add something. How often are you cleaning your filters, doing water changes, and if it is reef or just fish only? This will just help the decission a little bit ;)

-augustus

Most (all?) tangs are pretty messy eaters. You will have to consider that when thinking about maintaince, for example more and larger WCs to keep up with the extra waste generated.

The main concern is the size of your tank. Tangs get big and need lots of room. The smallest tangs (I think) are Ctenochaetus strigosus (Yellow eye) and Ctenochaetus tominiensis (Bristletooth)

edit: Also, why don't you check out Agustus' thread about tangs. The link to it is in his signature.

Thanks for all the replies,

I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks. I clean each filter out every 4 weeks alternately.

I'm planning to expand to a bigger tank, once i get a bit more experience with this one,

Thanks

Mark

I'm planning to expand to a bigger tank, once i get a bit more experience with this one,

I hated hearing it when I was looking at getting a (juvi) Powder Blue Tang, but you should really wait to get the bigger fish untill you get the bigger tank. You never know what the future holds. ;)

Back