Tank Cleaning Magnets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
What cleaning magnets do ya use? I am looking for a new magnet for my 150 gal acrylic tank. I have always used mag-float. Just wondering if anyone had experience with some of the newer magnets on the market........Hammerhead, Tunze, Magnavore.....etc.
Thanks, Scott

I use Algae Free's "Great White". Man is it strong!! Without the pads it removes everything through 3/4"! Apparently it isn't acrylic safe without the pads but mine has not scratched my tank at all except when debris is caught in it like any other mag cleaner..

The acrylic is 1/2". I use the white pad that goes on the inside (it came with one, if I remember correctly). I also bought a packet of the pads and just cut to the size I need. For the outside, I use a cloth diaper under the magnet. The one time I didn't, there must have been something stuck to it because it put a nice scratch. This probably wouldn't happen to folks that leave their magnets on all the time. I can't because the little one would likely mess with it, so I have to put it away.

great thread I was wondering about cleaning acrlic since I am getting a 110 gallon the first non glass tank I have owned. need something my 2 year old couldn't break on accident.

LOL - that was one of the pros for me with the acrylic tank. I thought about my little one kicking a ball or something and having it crash thru a glass tank - "Mom always said, don't play ball in the house." (Brady Bunch flashback). Like I mentioned earlier, I purposefully take the magnet off the tank, that way my little one won't get a hold of it (even though she is too short to reach it...you never know).....or anyone else that can't resist the urge to swipe the tank :).

Just got my Hammerhead last week. I tryed it in a corner of the tank and works great. The alge build up is slight so I'm leaving it for the snails to work on.
Scott

I realize I'm digging up an old thread here, but why would I pay $60-70 for an Algea-Free hammerhead when I can buy a Mag-float for $20? Is there that much of a difference?

Big Difference

I just started using the tiger shark which is superior to the mag floats that I havel on acrylic (100gal) and glass (135gal). I do use the separate pads with the Tiger Shark

meitzler said:
I just started using the tiger shark which is superior to the mag floats that I havel on acrylic (100gal) and glass (135gal). I do use the separate pads with the Tiger Shark

I have a hammerhead. It worked good on the old tank I had (1/2 inch acrylic). I am going to look at a Tiger shark because the Hammerhead does not really work very well on 3/4 inch acrylic, really slow(oops).
Wayne,
Where did you get your Tigershark?
Scott,
When I get a new Tigershark. You can have my hammerhead.
Ed:)

I bought mine at blue zoo in California. Premium aquatic and a couple of other places have them for $79. They sell a separate cover for acrylic made by another manufacturer that seems to work well. I have not tried them on 3/4" acrylic yet since I am still seting up my 300.

meitzler said:

So what exactly makes them superior? At $50 dollars more they should clean all by themselves!

Last edited:
Back