tank leak--insurance prob---need help to move tank ASAP-seattle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ldempke

a connection on my calcium reactor leaked. it affected my downstairs neighbors ceiling and I've made a homeowners insurance claim. They said it would be no problem, no different than a bathtub overflowing; but when the adjuster called yesterday she was working all sorts of angles to try to get out of it. the last thing she said was that for my liability ins to cover my neighbor, I need to have been at fault. anyone know if that is true? I thought she was trying to trap me into saying it was my fault. Anyone have any experience at all with Homeowners insurance and aquarium leaks? I'd be interested in hearing all the horror tales.

also, the condo association has requested that I move the tank ASAP so that the carpet can be pulled up and dried and the plyweood beneath checked for damage. I don't have the buckets or know how to move a reef tank. Is there anyone out there who can? I can Pay. we just need to move it across the room to the other outlets. it is a 75 gal reef with 30 gal sump. I live in Seattle on capitol hill.

thanks
Lorrie

Boy that is some pickel, I wish I could give you sound advise but not sure of all the details. I'm sure someone around Seattle would help with the move, I guess your lucky they didn't ask you to just remove it all together, that would hurt.

So cant you just set it up at a different location in the house/condo/apt.?
It seems from reading your post nothing broke is that correct ?
So all you need to do is move it temporarily somewhere right?
please correct me if I am wrong as far as how to move a tank there are threads on that.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72
Basically it is just unplug everything get clean buckets lots of them so the corals won't break and trash can liners to put things into. Use maybe a net and a tupperware container and net scoot the fish to the tupperware and pull out into a 5 gallon container. If you have sandbeds then remember when everthing is unpluged they will quickly use up all the air so add some via airstone/pump as needed .when removing the sand it must be kept underwater and removed after all the animals are out and put back into the new location first obviously get someone to help you move thing if you cant find anyone pm me :) hope that help and answers your first needs the insurance stuff should all work out by just bluntly asking specific questions and asking for specific timeline answers :)

Last edited:
why would they need to buy a tank? I take it that their current tank is fine or that is what I get from reading the original message. Lorrie just needs help with moving the tank.

I don't have any experience with dealing with insurance companies regarding a leak. Please keep us up to date though so in case we ever have to deal with insurance we'll know what to expect.

Last edited:
this really depends on your insurer and your policy. if you are living in a condo with a reef tank your insurance policy is really important. i would seriously suggest double and triple checking your coverage. umbrellas are smart and highly suggested too. water damage is costly especially when it ruins dry wall. imagine pulling dry wall, replacing it, painting and putting up the finishing. expensive! i really suggest you pull out your policy and try and figure out what exclusions you have. There also might be a policy that is held by the condo association so that is something to look into. my wife is an insurance defense attorney so i hear all sorts of horror stories about this kind of thing. when i ran my reef i was super careful with making sure insurance was adequate. let us know what your policy says.

Thanks for all quick responses guys. I found someone with all the equipment to move it this afternoon. so that part is taken care of. Yes, I need to find my policy and look at the details. so far, I can only find the bills and the declaration add ons.

yes, I only need to move it across the room while the carpet is pulled up and dried. nothing is broken.

I'll post info on the insurance as it goes on. anyone with eny experience with this, feel free to post.
Lorrie

Hey Lorrie,

Let me know if there is anything I can help out with as far as the tank goes. More than happy to give ya a hand.

Ken

Back