Tank Move advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nemodad

Hi Guys,

Need your wisdom again!

I currently have a 38 gallon tank, been running for a year with about 35lb's of live rock.
I'm getting ready to move it to a 75gallon.

Do i have to cycle the new tank for like 6 weeks? What's the preferred method?

Thanks

If you take the rock from one tank and put it in the other, your cycle should just be a matter of days. Every tank is different, but should be very fast. Just don't let the rocks dry out.

There will probably be some crap stirred up so it will have a mini cycle, but with all the bacteria growing well, it should be no problem for them to handle.

The new tanks is about 4 feet away, little chance of them drying out. So a couple of days eh?? hmm

Well, every tank is different, so you will want to test and make sure.

When I set up my tank (75 gallon) I put in maybe 50 lbs of liverock that I boughts off a RF member who was tearing down her tank (kept it kind of wet and moved it fast.) Tested 3 days later and didn't see any detectable NH4 or nitrites.

Get the salinity the same in the new tank so there is no stress/rupturing of the bacteria due to changes in osmotic pressure, and you should be good. Should be pretty painless though. Would think if you were careful about not stirring up any detritus from the bottom, etc, you might be able to just move livestock and all. Not sure though.

Maybe someone who has done a tank move like this will chime in

You should be good. I would transfer as much water from the old tank to the new one and do water change everyday for 3 or so days then slowly work your way into your normal routine. I have upgraded two tanks and haven't had a noticeable cycle. Make sure you have plenty of saltwater on hand.

Why use old water though? Isn't the beneficial bacteria on the rocks and substrate?
yes... This is true but here are my thoughts on it...

For substrate I would get new, unless you fully rinse the old. You will be sturing up all types of bs that has sunk to the bottom of your tank which could cause some issues in the new setup when transferring over.

And for water from my experience it is very hard to get your water params in the new water to exactly match your old. By using as much of the old water as possible it will keep params as close to the original levels as possible, which will help keep stress down on the corals/fish. By doing water changes daily for a few days after the switch to the new tank you will cycle all new water through out the setup. This will also help with the mini cycle that will happen. You probably won't even be able to tell from a visual stand point, but if you were to measure the water params you will see a little spike levels.

Hopefully this helps. Sorry for not having all the technical terms in the description, not a marine biologist.

The masterpieces of the most striking is the ultra card wow set the people of Iraq, and fresh and dreamlike images effects brought about by the eruption of States as a whole.Elsword ED Together with its brisk fighting experience and intense PVP combat, allowed players to put it down.Elsword Gold Like Japanese and Korean anime style, and any lovely thing Otaku who can not resist the temptation.Cheap Elsword Gold See Japan players Super fashion design, Taiwan player fine frame after design, continental players in limelight, made a point of writing a number of anthropomorphic art site Elsword map will definitely cute figure to the end.buy Elsword GoldNow the Elsword has strong animation of the unit wind swept to the individual countries, operations agents all over the world.buy Elsword ED Mainland China, Hong Kong, China, Chinese Taiwan, and Korea, Japan, Germany, United States, Viet Nam, have one after another agent operations it's masterpieces. Small series of "cherry seeds" as the player's map-imitating art to introduce you to different agents operate the national map, so that we better understand the beauty of this online game Oh!cheap Elsword EDChina Taiwan: Yi Ji network, further to Korea after NEXON agent of the Elsword, becoming the second agent this comic fighting masterpieces of firms. In November 2009 and the formal operation of the game.

What....

Ya so, I have been slowly moving some rock from my old tank to the new, trying to get the mini cycle going..So now something just came to mind...
I'm reducing the beneficial bacteria in the old tank, so this can't be good.. Would it be better just to move everything at once? New Tank has been running for 5 days now.

What percentage of the liverock do you have moved now?

I would do it pretty quick, maybe get 60% over, give it a day or two, then move the rest?

So, I guess I wouldn't go TOO fast, but also you don't want to go too slow either...

Probably good to just move it all over imo. maybe turkey baste the rocks off in the old tank before putting them in the new?

Have you been checking chemistry on the new tank to make sure the cycle is completed with the 50% LR that you have already transfered?

I did test for ammonia and nitrate and it read zero, but then i realized my regents are 3 yrs old! lol I never tested my old tank anymore...Just did my water changes and never had any issues.

Well there are some mushrooms that strayed on the rock i transfered, but they can live thru anything! :tongue:
I'm not worried too much about the corals, it's my paired true percula clowns that scare me..My luck with fish in the past has sucked.
And i've had these guys for over a year!!

Back