Tank overflowing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Citra

I am setting up my new 310g and I am having lots of problems with the drains. I have 2 overflows cup style (12l-5w-6h) not the height of the tank. the bulkheads are on the back of the tank. They are 1-1/2", my return pump from the sump is a sequence barracuda returned via 6 3/4" lock lines. The drains have no problem handling the 3000+ g/h. I tried open bulkheads on the inside of the overflow and 90's on the back and down to the sump and chocked the drains with ball valves to get the water level just above the bulkhead and it was dead silent (awesome), but it would run for hours or sometimes days and then start to overflow the tank. I think air was getting trapt in the 90 on the back of the bulkhead? So anyway I re-plumbed the drains with external dursos and now I can't get the overflow to stay stable and I will be alright for a little while and then start to overflow the tank. (and the tank is empty just sand and salt water) Does anyone have the same style overflows and how did you plumb them? Any ideas on how to get the drains silent? Or just any ideas at all?

Hmmm I have the same style as you Citra. On the outside back of the tank where you have the 90 I installed a tee instead, the bottom of the tee goes to the sump and the top half I raised to the height of the tank top. On top of that I put a cap and then drilled a hole ontop of it, this controls the water level in the overflow box.

give it a shot it works for me

Mike

Hey Mike,
I have since got ride of the 90 and put a tee with a cap and a hole drilled on top of it and it sits just above the top of the tank, the same as you have. As far as I understand it is the same as a durso standpipe. What size hole do you have drilled? As I understand the smaller the hole for higher flow. How much flow do you have going to your sump? How far are your pipes submerged into your sump?

Craig

Instead of a hole in the cap, I added a John Guest valve. It makes it very easy to control the airflow.

I was thinking of adding the john guest ball valves. I will have to get some. Is there any problems with either the holes or the JG valves getting blocked with salt creep? Is there any way to quiet the drain pipes the water crashing down sounds like a jacuzzi, I thought about closing the ball vavles a little bit on the drain pipes to raise the water level in the pipes to eliminate the sound, but the water level in the overflows rise to much, can you compensate with the hole size? Or am I just asking for trouble? It is not much of a problem with the sound of the water going into the sump, but the sound in the drain pipes is really loud. If I put my ear to the back of the tank it sounds like a jacuzzi, I don't think the fish will like that to much.Thanks for any help.

Craig

Citra the hole I have i thier is a 1/8 of an inch. My pipes dont go into the sump water, they are about 18 inches above the water level in thier. My sump has about 3000 gallons an hour going through it.
As pista says the valve is a good option as it will give you some control, no matter what you do you will have some salt creep from time to time, even with just the hole. Is the noise your hearing from the water pouring over the overflow or the pipes themselves??

MIke

Mike, The noise is the water and air crashing in the pipes and not the display water going into the overflows as it only drops 2-3". If I partially close the ball vavles on the drains it keeps the pipes full with water and eliminates most of the noise, but also keeps the water level in the overflows at the main tank level. Which I think means that I would need a smaller hole to create more of a siphon to compensate for closing the ball valves? I don't know? But I am nervous to leave the pump on when at work or at night incase it decides to flood! I started off with 1/8" holes in both caps and the tank wanted to overflow, so I tried new caps with 1/16" holes and now the level drains till it is sucking air and then rises again and again. It is driving me crazing! These types of drains seem to work for everyone. Am I missing something?

LOL your cursed I tell ya....cursed!!

Craig if its the water running down the drain pipes that is buggin ya why dont you go to HD and find some pipe insulators?? thier basically a cheap foam wrap that goes around pipes to keep them harm in freezing temps. This way you could cut the drain line loose (full out) and then muffle the sound??

Mike

Mike, foam insulation would work, but my main concern is that when I put my ear to the tank it sounds like my hottub I can't belive how load it is and I am concerned that it will stress out the fish. I know for sure that it is not the pumps because I have thick foam pads under them and I used spa-flex on a good part of it another problem I had to previouly deal with. Do you think the fish will be stressed? Am I reading this right you say that your water drops 16" into your sump from your drain pipes? would that not be extremely load.

Craig

My tank sounds like a jacuzzi also, and the fish and corals do not seem to mind one bit. I can't really hear much unless I stick my ear right up to the tank, but when I do it seems very loud. Mikes drains are pretty loud but it dosn't matter much seeing as their in his sump room, and you can't hear them in the house.

I wouldnt imagine that rushing water would spook the fish to bad, after all the sounds of huge waves does make sme noise to. They will get used to it. Mine are up so high so I can fit a sock on from time to time easily.

Mike

Thanks for the info. I will play with hole size in the end caps and see what happens. I am going to order a couple of JG ball vales from Kevin tomorrow. I am curious as why an 1/8" hole would work on your system and be too large on mine, I am pumping 3000GPH as well? With the end caps taken off the tees and 90's on the inside of the overflow shouldn't 2 1-1/2" drains be able to gravity drain 3000+GPH with that much air allowed into the drains?? On my tank it wants to overflow the display. Sorry if these questions sound a little stupid but I am new to setting up a large reef tank.

Back