Tank set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I just want to make sure that my plan is a good one. The following is a (bad) drawing of something akin to what I want the plumbing on my tank to look like. The display is a 29g sloped BB with a 29g sump. The return pump is a Mag9.5 running through a SCWD (I gotta lose an a bit of that flow somehow. It will then alternate between 2 outlets nea the top back of each corner.

The other pump (the box that seems to float in space with 2 different sized diagonal lines going to it) is a Mag5. I plan to run this in the dry as a closed loop through a spray bar under and behind all of the rock. This should move all of the detritus down the gentle slope of the false bottom and towards the front glass where it will be easy to clean.

The sump (the other 29g) will have 3 chambers (sorta 4). The sorta first is a small chamber will be where the overflow enters. That first chamber will be for the skimmer. I'm leaning towards the new ASM Mini. The water will then go through a bubble trap and into a fuge with a ball 'o' chaeto. The water will exit the fuge and enter the sump area.

My concerns are that I'm pumping too much water through the sump. I originally was not planning on the SCWD but I got such a great deal on the Mag9.5 I couldn't turn it down. My overflow only flows 800 gph so slowing the 9.5 down is mandatory. Now granted, it's pushing water up about 50 inches so I'd never get the full overrated 950 gallons out of it anyway, but I don't wish to push that overflow too much.

I'm also concerned about running the Mag5, which I got an even better deal on from a buddy (free), out of the water. I hear it's hit or miss on the Mags as to whether or not they seal well.

So, what I'm asking for is comments and suggestions on the layout and equipment selection as well as good ways to address my concerns.

Oh, and the tank will be softies and maybe zoas with a few fish (4 yellow tail damsels, because they're attractive and super hearty, and something red that I have yet to decide on). I have about 30ish pounds of LR and, again, I'm running a sloped BB.

Well, lay it on me, what do y'all think?

I like your plan so far. About the mag5, I'll tell you what a wise man once told me (BigT) for the price of a mag drive (or in your case free) I'd just silicone the whole head so you wouldn't have to worry about a leak. The cool thing with silicone is it can be pulled back off if you need to get inside the pump and then just re-silicone again. Also, if you need to cut down the flow a bit more on the mag9.5 then you can just use a longer hose to connect it as with all pumps you lose head pressure by the foot. You can go to mag drives website and see the head loss per foot on them. HTH. Best of luck and I hope all works out well for you.

if you're worried about flow on your mag 9.5 or what not use a ball valve and just adjust it to where you want your water level, though i'm assuming u're using pvc along the line somewhere

I'm just being paranoid. With the head height AND the rather large number of elbows required to get from my sump to the display, the flow will be cut back dramatically. And the SCWD and I think the Mag5 will be pumping more water then the 9.5. I hope this is how it works out anyway.

Any opposition to the SCWD?

Any opposition to the SCWD?

I've never used one before. I've only heard that some can be noisey and that they cut down flow significantly. I just use the sea-swirl on my return and I love it! Nevertheless, scwd's aren't that expensive at all so it may be worth a try if you've never used one.

Back