Tatooed fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.
Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"
I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.
I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich :dance:

Wow really? You mean they have those words like on the body of the fish or do you mean a sign on the display tank?

No, on the fish, I just went back to see them. They have pictures tatooed on them, hearts, polka dots etc. They cost about $6.00.
They look like a platy type of fish, not the clear fish you usually see dyed

I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.
Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"
I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.
I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich :dance:

Is this what you are talking about??

I have seen this done to alot of different types of freshwater fish. The big problem with it they strip off the slim coat to put thr paint on them. When they do that the fish becomes able to become sick and most do. I would have to say that 99 percent of them dont live long because of it.

yep, this is pretty old news. you just have to love the asians love of money..errr love of feng shui (sp??). this is sick, but where theres a market i guess. ballon belly mollies and gouramis, "painted" glass perch, tattooed fish. man i LOVE what asia brings to the table in this lovely hobby of ours.

Back