Tell me what you think of my "final" lighting choice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I have posted a lot of "what do you think of..." posts and I want to thank everyone for all the great help I have received. It really makes a difference to hear the opinions of people that have tried before instead of making the mistakes myself. That's the great part of all of us reef people talking. Just think how quiet and few threads I will post after I get my new tank set up...everything will be perfect, I won't need to ask anything else... (SLAP!...wake up Bob)

Ok...So I have ordered a custom elos tank 36 x 20 x 22 tall which will be several weeks (to be built and shipped from Italy). I have built my sump work bench to hold the great sump that Jason (of Clear Fabrications) built for me and I am now working on the stand and light setup. I have chosen to go with a current USA 36" fixture with 2 x 250 watt HQI bulbs and 4 T5 bulbs. I believe the light comes with their stock double ended 10K or 14K bulbs and not sure on the Actinics.
I wanted to go with the Reeflux 10K and Geissman T5s simial to Barriers setup on the elos tank, but maybe I will replace the T5s with Geissmans when the first set wears out.

I would like to hear any comments or experience on this light fixture/stock bulbs and also anyone's opinion on the best recommendation for bulbs for the double ended 250W HQIs and for the T5s.

Thanks for the help...I can feel myself getting closer to having a nice system

Last edited:
You choise of bulbs should be determined by the corals you plan on having.
If this is a sps tank then the 10k bulbs would be best, but if it isn't going to be a sps tank, then I'd go with a bluer bulb like the 14k.

I am taking pictures of my progress, one of these days I will learn how to add pictures to my post. In answer to what kind of corals in my tank...sps like millis, montis, slimer, stylos and then some soft corals and LPS. I have heard the 10K is the one if you supplement with actinic for the blue color. But not sure if the reeflux HQI is as good as the SE.

Back