temperature tollerance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joshinjosh

Cnidarian
many people these days seem to get temperature problems, which is logical hence the summer season. i haven't had a problem with temperature at all so far since the hot weahter hit in WA. sooo anyways, i came home today to find out my 20l was at 87 degress :shock: but found nothing dead, actually... the only changes i've seen is that my algea blenny is WAY more active and hyper than ususal, my 40+ different frags/colonies are all doing fine (mostly zoos, lps, and 1 montipora), i'm just wondering if 87 is actually tollerable for reefs?

josh

Wow, Thats hot.... I would shoot for 74-78 degrees. I would get a small clampon fan to turn on when your hallides turn on. The reef may take the temp for a while but theres no telling for how long. I know that the ocean temps change but not that much.

I would suspect the thermometer. I've had coralline bleach badly after 2 hrs. at 85. I always run two thermometers of different type to be sure I'm not trusting just one, and no matter how many thermometers I replace, they're never in agreement.

mmkeeper said:
Check out this thread for some ideas on controling your temps. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16144

thanks for help, i instantly turned on my fan when i saw the high temperature it's at 82 degrees now

Sk8r said:
I would suspect the thermometer. I've had coralline bleach badly after 2 hrs. at 85. I always run two thermometers of different type to be sure I'm not trusting just one, and no matter how many thermometers I replace, they're never in agreement.

hm... i thought so too, that my thermometer was all off (it's one of those digital coralife thermometers) but i double check with one of those classic (mercury or alcohol, not sure which one) thermometers (read at 86-88ish, it was kind of hard to read the lines) and again with one used to check fevers(read 87), so i kind of ruled out that possibility

Back